[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (05/11/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Fri, 11 May 2001 12:17:58 -0400

- WORLDWIDE BIGGEST
TOLKIEN FAN CONTEST!! -

Enter today! see below

TORN #81

Thursday May 11, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

CANNES: 26 Minutes of Footage Screened!
Calisuri chimes in with a preliminary report from the 26
minutes of FOTR Screened at CANNES!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/989586689]

TORN at Cannes...it now begins, with photos!!!!
TORN Staffer Leo apparently runs faster than Calisuri and
managed to snap these FIRST EXCLUSIVE CANNES photos
for us, with more to come, from both Leo and Calisuri! This is
just the beginning!! !!Spoilers!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/989530008]

John Howe talks LOTR
Ringer Spy Armel was so kind to translate this article from 'Les nouvel
obs' a french magazine. The mag recently interviewed John Howe, and
they asked him about the LOTR movies, Tolkien Mania and more about
a member of the Tolkien family actually having a role in the films?!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/989506397]

GAMING: LOTR and EA?
Ringer Spy Fing sends along word that while New Line and
Sierra have made nice, they're still looking elsewhere to promote
LOTR for our PC's and consoles.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/989472641]

Spy report from Cannes.
Been missing spy reports? Here's a small pre-emptive strike about
Cannes
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/989410701]

Casting: Ian Mune is Farmer Maggot?
Fans and spies alike have been sending us indications that Ian Mune
(an accomplished tv and movie director as well as a writer and sometime
actor) is playing Farmer Maggot. From recent images and other speculation
this looks to be a pretty good bet. BUT...as with all rumors, we need to
confirm it first. So don't set it in stone yet. In the meantime, check out a
little bit more about Ian and the only picture i could find of him!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/989167216]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

Check out the new Green Books for May. Turgon pulled
out the big guns against that nasty critic from the New York Times! Check
out the wonderful reader response in his Bookshelf. You will laugh your
knickers off when you read Tookish's Ticklers. New cartoons, jokes, and a
fine Marx Brothers parody from Whistler. Anwyn is back, joining us for the
mother-lode of all Q&A! Our Special Guests include an amazing, in-depth
look at the perils of modernity: "Where the Shadows Lie" and a thoughtful
take
on gender attitudes via Éowyn and Faramir: "Macho Men & Warrior Princesses."
Moon Letters is updated with new stories, poems, and a great essay on
Boromir
as the perfect model of Aristotle's tragic character: "Looking at Boromir."
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Eyada.com and TheOneRing.net

You can catch the latest 'Lord of the Rings' update on
internet radio at eyada.com. Yours truly gives the 'non-tolkien
world' a small update on all the latest. Check it out today at 4:15 pm!
Click on 'Live'
[http://eyada.com/show_archives.cfm?showid=7]

TheOneRing.net at CANNES!!!

TheOneRing.net at Cannes! We've had the great honor of being invited
to the biggest film festival in the world!

New Line Cinema asked us to tag along as they roll out the red carpet
and reveal the 'Lord of the Rings' to the entire world.

Our adventure begins this Wednesday, when Calisuri embarks on an
adventure of such grand scale and excitement that he will surely get lynched
by the rest of us when he gets back!

Calisuri will be staying just outside of the famous city of Cannes, near the
glamour of the festival, but just close enough to Middle-earth to make sure
he can spot the occasional elf or dwarf!

The 4 day stint will comprise of meeting the cast of LOTR, including
Ian McKellen, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom, Christopher Lee,
Liv Tyler and more! We will be bringing you exclusive interviews with each
of the cast members. Calisuri will also be meeting with Peter Jackson,
Frances Walsh, and the rest of the LOTR team!

A lavish party will be held at the Castle 'Le Cool' just outside Cannes,
where major set pieces have been flown in to re-create scenes from LOTR!
Calisuri will be bringing us day-by-day coverage of the entire event!
In conjunction with the Official LOTR Website, we will be providing
exclusive coverage of the event, including pictures, reports and interviews!
Stay tuned in the next few weeks for all the Cannes coverage you can handle,
you'll be speaking french by the time you're done reading what we've got to
show you!

GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/movie/cannes2001.html

TheOneRing,net's Worldwide Tolkien Fan Search 2001!!

We here at TORN are searching the world over for the world's biggest Tolkien
fan. Do you have an entire room devoted to your Tolkien collection? Or maybe
tattoo of Smeagol in an area you can't disclose to the general public? Or
better
yet, maybe you have a set of triplets named Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron!
Well, we wanna
hear about it! So, all you Tolkien-maniacs out there write your story down,
or
take a photo of what you think makes you the "World's biggest Tolkien fan!"
[http://www.theonering.net/theonering/contests/fansearch2001.html]

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in
those letters! I love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to
say hi? Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you
want to speak with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221