[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (12/07/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:04:23 -0400

TORN #89

Thursday July 12, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Footage Screened in London
There was a screening of the Cannes footage for merchandising
folks in London last Wednesday, the fourth of July. Here's part
one of what they saw. This is part one of a full run down of all of
the footage seen on the forth of July for Lord of the Rings. Check
back tomorrow morning for part two, and more tidbits about the
next Rings films as well. There was a screening of the Cannes
footage for merchandising folks in London last Wednesday, the
fourth of July.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994953795]

LOTR Decipher Card Game 'Really Fun'
TORNado Iarwain sends in this:"I would just like to inform you that
Decipher held a playtesting at Origins. It was very interesting to play
the game. I can't endulge you with too much info, but I can say that
not many (if any) left with bad comments. I thought that it was really
fun to play. Just letting you know. For more look on the LOTR
message board at Decipher."
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994900748]

LOTR International Brochure Images
Check out this small overview of the "Lord of the Rings International
Brochure" that can currently be purchased at the Official New Line
Shop. Nothing is better then actually touching and feeling this brochure,
but we're going to try and duplicate the effect using some hi-res scans.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994784047]

More on WETA and Computer Gizmos
Ringer Spy Ataahua sends along word from the NZ Herald, some interesting
stuff in this small blurb, like WETA has scanned over a million images from
the films, cool stuff.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994732068]

LOTR Story Change?
Garth from DarkHorizons has a story change that may make some of you
break out the kleenex and want to hug your mummy.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994688526]

GAMING: Knizia and Howe Win Award
Dave Farquhar sends along word of an award ceremony where Reiner
Knizia and all around nice guy John Howe were the big winners!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994688220]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

Be amazed, dear Readers, at the splendid July fireworks in our new
Green Books: Stinging satire from Turgon: "How to Express Your
Tolkien Ignorance: A Guide for the Media." Anwyn explores Tolkien's
pro-Nature, anti-Industrial bent in her new Counterpoint. The Brothers
Hildebrandt take our Special Guest on a 70's nostalgia trip. In Tributes:
see how Tolkien inspires great writers like Robin Hobb , from the new
Meditations on Middle-earth, edited by Karen Haber Tookish's Ticklers is
filled with zany, brilliant, goofy humor! Check out 16 new Q&A. Enjoy the
Tolkien-inspired stories and whip-smart essays in Moon Letters. It's your
forum for Fan Fic, so keep submitting your best stuff! There are new updates
in red to previous Q&A.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

We're Going to Comic-Con!!

I'm pleased to report that TORN will have full representation again for
Comic-Con International at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego,
California. This is "America's biggest comic book and pop culture event,"
and we'll be on board with a one-hour presentation for Thursday, July 19,
from 6:00 - 7:00 pm.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/994877170]

We Like to Party!!!

Talking of premieres and celebrations, TORN would like to see Tolkien fans
have their own 'Fellowship' bash on the 19th, right here in New Zealand.
It should be a big glamour event, given that we've got a chance to have the
first public screenings in the world (it's the dateline thing acting in our
favour!)
 Ideas, suggestions, and expressions of interest to tehanu@theonering.net -
we need to get an idea of numbers. Meanwhile, watch this space.

Hall of Fire Chats for July 14 &15

On May 25th, 2001 we had our first real preview of the Fellowship of the
Ring.
The two minute teaser was our first real look at the story and the look of
the
forthcoming films. This week, Hall of Fire heads into  movie-land, hosting
an
in-depth discussion of this recently released trailer . Fellowship of the
Ring:
Trailer 1 -- dream ... or nightmare?  What's your opinion? Is it good for
Tolkien fans?
Is it good for non-Tolkien fans? Come to Hall of Fire this weekend and share
your
thoughts. Some of the trailer highlights we'll be discussing include: The
scenes at the
Council of Elrond; the voice of Gollum and Elijah Wood's accent; the
dialogue and
how it compares with the dialogue in the book; and the visual effects. For
those
who want to refresh their memory (and aren't worried about spoilers) here is
the
link to theonering.net's extensive frame by frame analysis of the preview.

http://www.theonering.net/movie/preview/fotr_trailer01.html

It's sure to be a fantastic discussion, so why not drop on by to one of our
3 scheduled
sessions? Anyone and everyone is invited and first timers are always
welcome!

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to say hi?
Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak
with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221