[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (05/07/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 16:02:13 -0400

TORN #88

Thursday July 5, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

TORN Exclusive -Other SFX Companies to Work on Rings-
The following report came to me by way of a very reliable
source that has contributed things in the past that have
proven to be right. It seems that WETA is going to shop
out some of the effects work on the trilogy to some other
(big and small) special effects houses around the world.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994348719]

Sanderson IS Harry Goatleaf?
Ringer Spy Kimi sends along news from NZ regarding the
casting of another character from LOTR.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994348111]

Media Watch: Cinelive Magazine
I REALLY would like to thank Eledhwen and Cuivienor
for the scans and the English translation of the article, check
it out!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994347678]

McKenzie IS Elendil!
It seems a little late to be posting casting news, (someone
please send me a complete cast list!!!) but here we go, Kiwi
Peter McKenzie will play Elendil.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994207431]

Serkis: I'm A Tolkien Junkie
British actor Andy Serkis will be appearing in one of the
biggest movies of the year - but his isn't the type of role
that will get him pestered on the street. Serkis is playing
the animated hobbit Gollum in The Lord of the Rings
series, and CGI will ensure he's completely unrecognizable
on screen.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/994096717]

BookExpo Report with some Cool Info!!
Ringer Spy Kinch sends along word on the recent Book
Expo that was attended by Houghton Mifflin and suits from
New Line, Kinch also sends along word of not one but
TWO TV specials coming this fall!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993828913]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Hall of Fire Chats for July 7th & 8th

After having three fantastic sessions from our topic last week, we return
to our chapter by chapter discussions of the Fellowship of the Ring. This
week,
we cover one of the most tense moments of the Fellowships journey before
Rivendell.

Chapter XI: A Knife in the Dark

A fantastic chapter, the highlight of this section is obviously the
confrontation
between the Fellowship and the Ringwraiths at Weathertop. But there is so
much more to this chapter than just this! For the first time in the books we
see
Strider take a leadership roll as the group departs from the Prancing Pony
inn.
We also see a more humane part of Sam as he takes the ill treated Bill the
Pony
from it's cruel master in Bree. This scene is also one of the most
documented
from the upcoming film, creating a set of images that have most Tolkien fans
faith
in not only Peter Jackson as the film's director, but in Viggo Mortensen as
the
character of Strider himself.  And of course, this scene is the first time
Frodo
falls foul to the temptations of the ring, and through his actions see the
Nazgúl
for the fallen kings they once were.  No matter what you know are and what
you've read, this is bound to be a fantastic discussion, and anyone and
everything
is invited to one of our three scheduled hosted sessions!

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to say hi?
Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak
with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221