[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (26/07/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:40:32 -0400

TORN #90

Thursday July 26, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

IMPORTANT VIRUS INFORMATION BELOW: THIS IS A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE ON THIS
MAILING LIST

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

New Line Promo Items
Ringer Spy Gilgameth sends along some great scans of New Line
related bookmarks and other items given away to big companies
to get them excited. Take a look.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/996105496]

GAMING: EA seals the deal
TheOneRing.net exclusive: Electronic Arts and New Line Cinema
have finally sealed the deal for games based on the new Lord of the
Rings movies.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/996040244]

McKellen updates his online commentary
Sir Ian McKellen has updated his mailbag section of his site,
McKellen.com. !!SPOILERS!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/996015506]

The official Lord of the Rings tattoo
The official Lord of the Rings site have just made a new offer on their
front page: a free rub on Lord of the Rings tattoo! As odd as it sounds,
the tattoos look great and should cheer you up for a couple of days
during the pre-December blues.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/995828169]

LOTR 'Making-of...' Details
The last 'trailer' they showed was actually a ten minute making-of about
Lord of the Rings. Needless to say I was happy and my goosebumps
rose. !!Spoilers!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/995644080]

Great Elrond and Boromir Pics!
Ringer Spy J Mintz sends along these great pics of Sean Bean (Boromir)
and Hugo Weaving (Elrond). These high quality pics really give you the
chance to take a look at the detail and quality of the costumes, I smell
Oscar! !!SPOILERS!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/995642652]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

Be amazed, dear Readers, at the splendid July fireworks in our new
Green Books: Stinging satire from Turgon: "How to Express Your
Tolkien Ignorance: A Guide for the Media." Anwyn explores Tolkien's
pro-Nature, anti-Industrial bent in her new Counterpoint. The Brothers
Hildebrandt take our Special Guest on a 70's nostalgia trip. In Tributes:
see how Tolkien inspires great writers like Robin Hobb , from the new
Meditations on Middle-earth, edited by Karen Haber Tookish's Ticklers is
filled with zany, brilliant, goofy humor! Check out 16 new Q&A. Enjoy the
Tolkien-inspired stories and whip-smart essays in Moon Letters. It's your
forum for Fan Fic, so keep submitting your best stuff! There are new updates
in red to previous Q&A.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

TORN at Comic-Con!!

Lucky TORN staffers Quickbeam and Tookish headed down to the San
Diego Comic-Con this past weekend. We followed their every movie and
they posted about everything! Take a look at the collection of reports from
the Con.
GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/996160415

We Like to Party!!!

Talking of premieres and celebrations, TORN would like to see Tolkien fans
have their own 'Fellowship' bash on the 19th, right here in New Zealand.
It should be a big glamour event, given that we've got a chance to have the
first public screenings in the world (it's the dateline thing acting in our
favour!) Ideas, suggestions, and expressions of interest to
tehanu@theonering.net -
we need to get an idea of numbers. Meanwhile, watch this space.

Hall of Fire Chats for July 28th and 29th
As August approaches we arrive at the last of our Hall of Fire discussions
for
this month, and what a topic we've picked to see off a great month! Tolkien
purists one and all, this is the discussion you've been waiting for!

Christopher Tolkien : Continuing the Legacy

GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

IMPORTANT VIRUS INFORMATION:

We get alot of emails daily, we are on alot of your mailing lists and
shortcut bars,
this can cause a problem when a worm virus strikes. Many MANY of you have
this virus and do not even know it, so please follow the link below to fix
the
problem. If the problem continues it could effect MY inbox, which in turn
can
effect our ability to post news on TORN. So please go to the link below,
even
if you don't think you have a virus.

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to say hi?
Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak
with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221