[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 17:10:10 -0400

NEW WETA/SIDESHOWTOYS CONTEST!!! SEE BELOW!!!

TORN #92

Thursday August 9, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

LOTR Screenwriter Phllippa Boyens Interview
A BIG thanks to Gorel for these transcripts of the Philippa Boyens panel at
Mythcon, check them out!
Part I [http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/997243086]
Part II [http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/997332611]

It's Real, and it's Spectacular!
Unfortunately, New Line Cinema has kindly requested that I remove that
poster
that we had online today. It's to their credit that they have such an open
policy
with LOTR fansites, and I respect them for it, but I do hope we get to see
this pic
up on the official site soon!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997218117]

Q&A with Clay Harper from Houghton Mifflin!
We now have a great Q&A with Clay Harper, Tolkien Projects Director for the
Houghton Mifflin Company. It's a great read, check it out!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997199801]

More LOTR Pics
Some great news LOTR pics have come out way from Ringer Spy J Dean, these
have come via one of the many Cons that have been covering LOTR, check them
out! !Spoilers!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997121780]

Lord of the Rings Students Yearplanner
Lord of the Rings movie site Imladris managed to find some great scans of
the new
Tolkien Yearplanner, which you can buy in our Shop section. There are some
fantastic
images in this....anyone want to buy me one? SPOILERS!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997010268]

FOTR Premiere Dates?
This comes to my via a new spy 'in the New Line camp' I'm told.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/996854032]

EXCLUSIVE: Sneak Peek at the LOTR Trading Card Game
For all of you attending be sure to check this out! Today at 3:00PM
(Central) Decipher
will bust out at Gen Con Game Fair with a special promotional event for
their new Lord
of the Rings Trading Card Game. This is an invitation only kind of deal, so
stop by the
Decipher booth (#1015) and ask for a pass to the event.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/996851935]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

Be amazed, dear Readers, at the splendid July fireworks in our new
Green Books: Stinging satire from Turgon: "How to Express Your
Tolkien Ignorance: A Guide for the Media." Anwyn explores Tolkien's
pro-Nature, anti-Industrial bent in her new Counterpoint. The Brothers
Hildebrandt take our Special Guest on a 70's nostalgia trip. In Tributes:
see how Tolkien inspires great writers like Robin Hobb , from the new
Meditations on Middle-earth, edited by Karen Haber Tookish's Ticklers is
filled with zany, brilliant, goofy humor! Check out 16 new Q&A. Enjoy the
Tolkien-inspired stories and whip-smart essays in Moon Letters. It's your
forum for Fan Fic, so keep submitting your best stuff! There are new updates
in red to previous Q&A.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

!!NEW CONTEST!!

Why did the Balrog Cross the Road?  How many Hobbits does it take to
screw in a light bulb? Have you ever thought of a joke like this? A
funny joke with a Tolkien twist! That's what we're looking for in this
Tolkien Joke-O-Rama!

(http://www.theonering.net/theonering/contests/0801_humorhunt.html)

TORN Digital August is Coming August 20th

In the next few weeks, we will be showing you small details on
TheOneRing.net's new
exciting venture into the internet/video media: TORN Digital. While we don't
want to give too much away, we would like to show you some of the people
involved in
the production.

This week we're taking a look at the folks behind TORN Digital, OrphMedia.
(http://www.orphmedia.com/)

You may have seen OrphMedia's work on TFN Digital, working with
TheForce.net,
Peter Orphanos and his team have added a new dimension in mixing
internet-video and
news into something more than just teaser trailers and flash animation. Take
a look at
some of his work with TFN Digital (http://theforce.net/digital/), and
instead of looking at
'that Galaxy Far, Far Away' we'll be delivering the news from Middle earth
and beyond!

Peter and his team are based out of New York City, you may have seen him and
his site
reported on in 'The Hollywood Reporter' or 'Yahoo! Internet Life Magazine'.
Take a
look around his website, and you'll get a sense of the talent and pride he
and his team
will bring to TORN Digital!

TORN Digital's first episode is scheduled for August 20th. Be sure to check
this space
for more TORN Digital info every week! Next week we will take a look at
another
aspect behind TORN Digital and start the countdown to the first episode!!

CONS CONS CONS!

Convention season in upon us, and TORN is EVERYWHERE!! Take a look at
coverage
and reports from all types of different cons from around the United States:

BarliBash: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/996853823
Mythcon: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/996991785
Mythcon II: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997068158
Mythcon III: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997144282
GenCon: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/997106716
GenCon II: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997376980

We Like to Party!!!

Talking of premieres and celebrations, TORN would like to see Tolkien fans
have their own 'Fellowship' bash on the 19th, right here in New Zealand.
It should be a big glamour event, given that we've got a chance to have the
first public screenings in the world (it's the dateline thing acting in our
favour!) Ideas, suggestions, and expressions of interest to
tehanu@theonering.net.
We need to get an idea of numbers. Meanwhile, watch this space.

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to say hi?
Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak
with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221