[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (16/08/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:48:31 -0400

NEW WETA/SIDESHOWTOYS CONTEST!!! SEE BELOW!!!

TORN #93

Thursday August 16, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

SIGGRAPH Report!
Gorgoroth sends along this great report from SIGGRAPH, take a look at a few
details about SFX! I went to the SIGGRAPH Houdini Users Group Meeting on
Sunday at the Westin Bonaventure.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997906197]

McKellen.com Updates
Ian McKellen (Gandalf) website 'McKellen.com' has updated it's epost
section. Check it out for some tantalizing tid-bits! !Spoilers!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997885437]

Decipher Releases LotR Details At GenCon
"Excitement ran high as GenCon began, with whispered rumors of "something
big" happening Friday afternoon. Throughout the convention's opening day,
the buzz increased as lucky attendees showed friends their coveted tickets
to Decipher's by-invitation-only announcement event.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997816707]

Media Watch: Premiere Magazine
Thanks to Ringer Spy LC we've got the scans from the latest Premiere
Magazine. Check it out for a great look into the character of our Elijah
Wood (Frodo). [http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997549812]

Want to Work at WETA??!!
Weta wants YOU! Well maybe not you... but then again, maybe! Looks like they
need an expert Render Wrangler.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997549238]

Exclusive Artwork for Decipher's New LOTR Card Game
This is the first time anywhere that you can see the beautiful layout and
artwork for Decipher's new Lord of the Rings trading card game. Really
lovely cards here! TheOne Ring was the first to bring you a sneak peek at
the actual game-play, now be the first to see the "preview cards."
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/997460261]

Live in Montreal? Love TORN?
A television news crew wants to talk to a TORN fan living in Montreal ASAP!
They'd love to hear from you, if this sounds like something you'd want to
so, drop Anna Dirksen an email at annadirksen@yahoo.com and tell her your
details!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The Bastards Have Landed' is
the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

Be amazed, dear Readers, at the splendid July fireworks in our new Green
Books: Stinging satire from Turgon: "How to Express Your Tolkien Ignorance:
A Guide for the Media." Anwyn explores Tolkien's pro-Nature, anti-Industrial
bent in her new Counterpoint. The Brothers Hildebrandt take our Special
Guest on a 70's nostalgia trip. In Tributes: see how Tolkien inspires great
writers like Robin Hobb , from the new Meditations on Middle-earth, edited
by Karen Haber Tookish's Ticklers is filled with zany, brilliant, goofy
humor! Check out 16 new Q&A. Enjoy the Tolkien-inspired stories and
whip-smart essays in Moon Letters. It's your forum for Fan Fic, so keep
submitting your best stuff! There are new updates in red to previous Q&A.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from Rolozo
Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

!!NEW CONTEST!!

Why did the Balrog Cross the Road?  How many Hobbits does it take to screw
in a light bulb? Have you ever thought of a joke like this? A funny joke
with a Tolkien twist! That's what we're looking for in this Tolkien
Joke-O-Rama!

(http://www.theonering.net/theonering/contests/0801_humorhunt.html)

To obtain information on an international distributor located closest to you
please contact Sideshow sales at sales@sideshowtoy.com

TORN Digital August is Coming August 20th

In the next few weeks, we will be showing you small details on
TheOneRing.net's new exciting venture into the internet/video media: TORN
Digital. While we don't want to give too much away, we would like to show
you some of the people involved in the production.

This week we're taking a look at the folks behind TORN Digital, OrphMedia.

(http://www.orphmedia.com/)

You may have seen OrphMedia's work on TFN Digital, working with
TheForce.net, Peter Orphanos and his team have added a new dimension in
mixing internet-video and news into something more than just teaser trailers
and flash animation. Take a look at some of his work with TFN Digital
(http://theforce.net/digital/), and instead of looking at 'that Galaxy Far,
Far Away' we'll be delivering the news from Middle earth and beyond!

Peter and his team are based out of New York City, you may have seen him and
his site reported on in 'The Hollywood Reporter' or 'Yahoo! Internet Life
Magazine'. Take a look around his website, and you'll get a sense of the
talent and pride he and his team will bring to TORN Digital!

TORN Digital's first episode is scheduled for August 20th. Be sure to check
this space for more TORN Digital info every week! Next week we will take a
look at another aspect behind TORN Digital and start the countdown to the
first episode!!

At Long Last! The Report From Barlibash 2001 + Pics

Curunir has been slaving away at his computer writing this report on some of
the goings-on at Barlibash, held this year in Chicago, on August 2-5.
[http://www.theonering.net/barlimans/barlipict/2001/gallery1.html]

Pippin Took, Arathorn, and Nob have announced the completion of a three page
photo gallery of the wacky antics we call BarliBash 2001. Let the good times
roll again!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/997928687]

We Like to Party!!!

Talking of premieres and celebrations, TORN would like to see Tolkien fans
have their own 'Fellowship' bash on the 19th, right here in New Zealand. It
should be a big glamour event, given that we've got a chance to have the
first public screenings in the world (it's the dateline thing acting in our
favour!) Ideas, suggestions, and expressions of interest to
tehanu@theonering.net. We need to get an idea of numbers. Meanwhile, watch
this space.

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief