[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (19/04/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:51:53 -0400

TORN #79

Thursday April 19, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Amazing New Production Stills!
Saruman and Orthanc looks stunning! and Lurtz is a monster!
Basically these 3 pics are of Saruman and Lurtz in Orthanc.
Really amazing pics here, a must see. !!SPOILERS!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/987645103]

More Sideshow Toy Images!
Harry at AICN has posted even MORE images from
Sideshow WETA toys. Boy, I hope these aren't going to
be as expensive as they look! Check out the details of Frodo,
Gandalf and an Orc Overseer. SPOILERS
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/987557380]

Hugo Weaving talks LOTR
Hugo Weaving (Elrond) recently spoke to the folks at eyada.com.
Check out his audio interview where he talks about Russian Doll,
The Matrix, and, of course, Lord Of The Rings.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/987543990]

New Aragorn Pic
Ringer Spy Shane sends in this new pic of Viggo Mortensen in
all his Aragorn glory! !SPOILERS!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/987475213]

More news on the music.
Interesting things are being said about both the Howard Shore
soundtrack and the Tolkien songs that are to be included in the movies.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/987383475]

More on Shore Score
We got a spy report about the Howard Shore soundtrack.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/987317454]

Rings invades the Victoria University of Wellington
A secret Ringer wrote in to say the film people came to the
language school looking for people who could speak certain
languages.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/987317294]

Fox Special on LOTR to air in November!
Harry at AICN had an interesting adventure with a time machine
that means he was able to write a detailed review of the looooong
special on LOTR that Fox will be airing in November.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/987159314]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

The super-cool new Green Books has updated for April.
Was J.R.R. Tolkien a racist? Go Out on a Limb as I discuss this
most serious charge brought against our beloved author: "The Shadow of
Racism" Turgon's Bookshelf has a great overview of NEW Tolkien publications
for "Spring 2001 and Beyond"  Ostadan's new Lore & Letters illuminates
the world of invented languages: like Elvish, Esperanto, and Klingon!
There are eighteen colossal new Questions & Answers:
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Premonitions (Things to come)

Xoanon at eyada.com

Eyada.com was kind enough to call us today and request an interview.
So if you've got the mojo to come listen to yours truly at 4:30 PM ET.
Drop on by to eyada.com!
[http://eyada.com/show_archives.cfm?showid=7]

Hall of Fire Debates for April 21 & 22

Mark your calendars folks, this looks like a good one. From the mind
of our own moderator Melian the Maia comes our next topic:
Female Characters and Tolkien's Middle-earth

We will explore how Tolkien portrayed women/female characters in his
world. There aren't many, as compared to men. Some are incredibly strong,
powerful and/or brave... Melian, Luthien, and Yavanna for example... but
some,
like Finduillas and Rian, are ineffectual. There are the rather stereotyped
hobbit
ladies we encounter, the stiff and ornery Lobelia and the yearning Rosie
Cotton.
And in another realm we have Arwen and Dis, characters who must have had
great
importance in every day life but of whom we read little.

How did Tolkien perceive his female characters? Did the times during which
he
wrote influence his portrayals, if at all? Might the role of women be
greater if the
works of Middle-earth were published today? Come on down to The Hall of Fire
and
share your thoughts, feelings, and insights with us. First timers always
welcome!

Place: #thehalloffire on theonering.net server; come to theonering.net's
chat room
Barliman's and then type /join #thehalloffire .

Saturday Chat: 7:00 pm ET (19:00) [also 12:00 am Sunday (0:00) GMT and 9:00
am Sunday (09:00) AET]
Sunday Chat: 8:00 pm (20:00) AET [also 11:00 am (11:00) GMT and 6:00 am
(06:00) ET]
Sunday Chat: 6:00 pm (18:00) GMT [also 1:00 pm (13:00) ET and 3:00 am
(03:00) Monday morning AET]
ET = Eastern Time, the time on the USA's east coast
GMT = Greenwich Mean Time, the time in Western Europe
AET = Australian Eastern Time, the time on Australia's east coast

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in
those letters! I love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to
say hi? Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you
want to speak with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221