[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter 24/08/00

Xoanon Xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 22:32:44 -0400

--------------EAA04D5FEFC0C99ED6DAFF79

http://theonering.net  Newsletter

V1 #56

Thursday August 24, 2000

Here it is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy..

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Wanna see Viggo as ARAGORN?! Ringer Spy
Emmanuel sends in a KILLER pic of Viggo
Mortensen in all his Aragorn glory!!!!!!!!!! [More]

Decipher's LoTR Cards, the inside scoop: Berendir
over at Gaming Havens has gotten the inside scoop
on Decipher's upcoming card game. [More]

Web Watch: McKellen.com: Ian McKellen (Gandalf)
and our good friends at McKellen.com have updated
the 'Bits and Bobs' section of McKellen's website. [More]

New Set Pics!! Ringer Spy Justin sends in the latest from
New Zealand! WOW, these are some great looking sets!! [More]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.

In Green Books the secret of SNERGS is revealed on Turgon's
Bookshelf-- where we learn the true inspiration for "The Hobbit"!
Quickbeam and Anwyn have new things brewing for August... and
there are nine new Questions & Answers that will spark much
debate.  And what exactly does the creator of "Harry Potter" have
to say about Tolkien?  Click over to Tributes to find out!  Shine on
Moon Letters for the best Fan-created poetry and fiction. Come
explore the WORDS and WORLD of Tolkien.

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) is always a fun
place to snoop around and learn more of the man behind the
movie. We care currently re working our members packages!
Sign-up to receive great gifts! Are you a bastard yet?

Palantir Premonitions (What's to come)

Hall of Fire Chat

The next Hall of Fire topic for discussion is up. Check it out and
head on over this weekend!

Middle-earth and Human History: Comparisons and
Contrasts

Being the epic work of literature that it is, The Lord of the Rings has
been analyzed through a variety of lenses. One of the appealing
qualities of LotR is the historical depth and underpinning present
throughout the narrative. We are fortunate indeed to have the
Silmarillion chronicling the history of Arda's creation; no doubt
Tolkien fans would love to read about the Fifth and Sixth Ages as
well.

Which leads to our topic..... How does Middle-earth compare to the
history of humanity? At first blush many may focus on European
history, although this is surely only part of the conversation. We will
discuss both how Middle-earth's history is similar to ours, and how it
is different. So bring your thinking caps and history trivia and come
chat this weekend!

 Time: Saturday, August 26, 5:30 EST (10:30 GMT) AND Sunday,
 August 27, 6:00 GMT (1:00 EST)

Going to WORLDCON?!

TheOneRing.net will be there as well! Worldcon is the 58th
Annual World Science Fiction Convention that takes place
August 31 to September 4 at the Hyatt Regency Chicago,
Fairmont Hotel and Swissotel in good old Chicago, Illinios.

Head on over to see TORN Staffers like Corvar & Balin! Be
sure to try and catch Douglas Anderson's world famous Hobbit
Slide Show!

Check it out in our 'World Events Section'

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to
say hi? Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you
want to speak with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in
those letters! I love to hear from you!

Xoanon & TheOneRing.net Team
http://theonering.net

http://theonering.net --------------EAA04D5FEFC0C99ED6DAFF79--