[Lotr_announce] BREAKING NEWS: Guillermo Del Toro departs "The Hobbit"

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Sun May 30 17:27:33 CDT 2010

Guillermo Del Toro announced today that he is no longer directing the two
movies based on J.R.R Tolkien's "The Hobbit", but will continue to co-write
the screenplays. Out of respect to the legions of loyal Tolkien fans, both
Guillermo and Peter Jackson wanted to break the news to The One Ring first.
They are both committed to protecting The Hobbit and will do everything in
their power to ensure the films are everything that the fans want them to
be.

"In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming  "The
Hobbit," I am faced with the hardest decision of my life", says Guillermo.
"After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich
as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from
helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and
Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New
Zealand.  I've been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on
earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be
forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures
of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated
for the project. Both as a co-writer and as a director, I wlsh the
production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to
see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and
future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director".

Read the rest here:
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/05/30/36920-guillermo-del-toro-departs-
the-hobbit/

All the best,