[Lotr_announce] This Week on TheOneRing.net

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Fri Jul 16 19:57:06 CDT 2010

Hullo!! Take a look at the latest updates from TheOneRing.net and beyond!

Dr. Who (Sylvester McCoy) is Bilbo Baggins after all?

It was a year ago, right around Comic-Con 2009 when the rumors where
swirling all over the interwebs that Doctor Who (David Tennant) was going to
be cast as Bilbo Baggins. That never seemed quite right and then the actor
denied it. Did the world just have the wrong Dr. Who? Screenrush says Dr.
Who IS going to be cast as Bilbo but the right man is Sylvester McCoy, not
Tennant, which makes a lot more sense. The story is starting to pick up
steam around the web but Screenrush is way out front on this one and did the
work to get an official "no comment" from an agent. McCoy, at 66, was
thought to be a major contender for Bilbo in Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy
and his casting would be a major sign that casting is skewing a little older
this time around as studios feel less of a need to scramble for certain
viewer demographics. Tennant never seemed right, but McCoy? Well,
screenrush.co.uk could be on to something. And of course, we will check
every source to try and confirm but until there is a greenlight, we suspect
nothing will be official. In fact, he could be up for Thorin or another roll
instead of Bilbo.

http://tinyurl.com/22mhnjd

Lions Gate Said to Woo MGM Studio Creditors; Seeks Terms Icahn Would Back

July 14 (Bloomberg) - Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., the independent film
and TV producer, has approached creditors of ailing Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.
to help shape a plan to acquire the studio, two people with knowledge of the
situation said. Lions Gate Vice Chairman Michael Burns has been meeting in
New York with investors who hold some of MGM's $3.7 billion debt, according
to the people, who requested anonymity because the discussions are private.

http://tinyurl.com/22rd6e2

Peter Jackson meeting with 'Hobbit' actors

"The Hobbit" still has not been officially greenlighted, but director Peter
Jackson is in Los Angeles this week quietly meeting with actors. The casting
trip, which also included stops in New York and the U.K., underscores the
progress being made on a complex series of deals to bring J.R.R. Tolkien's
epic fantasy novel to the big screen.

http://tinyurl.com/2drqdwh

Guillermo del Toro At Peace With Hobbit Decision

Calling his decision to walk away from directing The Hobbit  "the biggest
heartbreak of my life professionally", Guillermo del Toro is getting ready
to bounce back. Del Toro plans to attend Comic-Con to be part of a preview
for Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, a horror film he both produced and
co-wrote.  He clearly still likes to excite his fans and noted "We're gonna
announce a few things at Comic-Con that are surprises.  But I'm probably
going to announce my next directing project right after Comic-Con. It's a
pretty big one."   That should perk up the ears of those who love his
movies.

http://tinyurl.com/2bjmukq

Washington Post calls TORn panel a highlight!

In case Comic-Con isn't mainstream enough for you, The Washington Post is
previewing it weeks in advance and they singled out TheOneRing.net panel as
one of the Thursday highlights. Check it out! (http://tinyurl.com/2b4qj7t)
At the Weta section of the Dark Horse booth TORn will have staffers about
and it looks as if TheOneRing will have three shirt styles this year
including one with an amazing Daniel Falconer rendition of LOTR's own dark
lord.

http://tinyurl.com/28wwr2l

Join us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/TheOneRingnet>  - Twitter
<http://twitter.com/theoneringnet>  - YouTube!