[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter - October 2008

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Wed Oct 1 21:54:49 EDT 2008

TORN #369

October, 2008

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Howard Shore is Working on Hobbit Score
Just this morning Sohaib Awan at Fictional Frontiers spoke to Howard Shore
about his recent composition for Macy’s who are celebrating their 150th
anniversary. During the interview, Howard had a few words to say about the
Hobbit...
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/28/30045-howard-shore-is-working-on-
hobbit-score/

Andy Serkis talks about The Hobbit and the role of Gollum

According to a short video interview with Andy on ITN here, Andy Serkis is
looking forward to reprising his role as Gollum:
Female Reporter: Was it very exhaustive being Gollum? Andy: Yeah, yeah. It
was physically very tiring. Physically and mentally and vocally. (laughs)
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/28/30038-andy-serkis-talks-about-the
-hobbit-and-the-role-of-gollum/

“The most beautiful writing experience of my life” ~ Guillermo talks
scripting The Hobbit
Our friends at Popcorn Taxi have come through with the audio of their August
18 Q&A with Guillermo del Toro regarding Hellboy II to transcribe. The
biggest bombshell of the night came near the end of the 42 minute session:
The first official news that the scripting team of Peter Jackson, Fran
Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro had begun writing The Hobbit.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/28/30030-the-most-beautiful-writing-
experience-of-my-life-guillermo-talks-scripting-the-hobbit/

Court: No punitive damages in ‘LOTR’ suit
LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge has barred the estate of “Lord of the Rings”
author J.R.R. Tolkien from seeking punitive damages against the studio that
brought the trilogy to the big screen. Tolkien’s heirs claim New Line Cinema
has failed to pay any royalties from the estimated $6 billion they say the
movie has grossed worldwide. The lawsuit is seeking more than $150 million
in compensatory damages based on breach of contract, fraud and other claims.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Ann I. Jones also ruled this week that the
estate and Tolkien heirs have established a legal basis for the fraud claim
against New Line.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/25/30027-court-no-punitive-damages-i
n-lotr-suit/

Alan Lee Book Tour Announced!
The folks from Houghton Mifflin write: I saw your recent posting about Alan
Lee attending FaerieCon in Philadelphia, and I wanted to spread the word
that Alan will be visiting a few other U.S. cities to promote THE CHILDREN
OF HURIN paperback (national release date: October 14) and the brand-new
TALES FROM THE PERILOUS REALM, immediately following his FaerieCon
appearance!
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/23/29982-alan-lee-book-tour-announce
d/

Peter Lyon Confirmed Work on The Hobbit!
Alex writes: I visited the Royal Armouries yesterday to see the “Arms and
Armour from the Movies: The Wonderful World of Weta” exhibit and attended
the fantastic lecture by the great Peter Lyon, Sword smith. Many people came
along to hear his speech. He talked initially about his work on the Narnia
films and how the process from concept drawings to the fully developed
weapon was achieved.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/21/29946-peter-lyon-confirmed-work-o
n-the-hobbit/

Doug Jones On “The Hobbit”
Our friends at AICN posted an interview with Doug Jones discussing a number
of topics including his potential involvement in “The Hobbit.” As previous
interviews suggest, it appears there is no decision yet on a specific role
for him, but the interview reflects Guillermo Del Toro’s continued fondness
for including Jones in his projects. Jones hints at a specific role and has
some encouraging words for fans as well.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/19/29877-doug-jones-on-the-hobbit/

Brad Dourif on Returning to Middle-earth
You can add Brad Dourif to the list of ‘LotR’ alumni who have expressed an
interest in returning to Middle-earth.   Brad was at DragonCon a couple of
weeks ago, and was asked if he would reprise his role as Grima Wormtongue in
the second ‘Hobbit’ (or “bridge”) film should the writers find a way to
include the character.  His response?  “Of course!”  Stay tuned to
TheOneRing.net for more information!
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/12/29751-brad-dourif-on-returning-to
-middle-earth/

Special FaerieCon Discount for TheOneRing.net Community!
To celebrate the appearance of Alan Lee as the Guest of Honor at FaerieCon
International on October 10 – 12 in Philadelphia, PA, FaerieCon is offering
a special 50% Discount off any FaerieCon ticket for The One Ring Community.
Don’t miss this rare opportunity to meet Alan Lee and get your favorite
Tolkien book signed. To order your ticket and get your discount, please
visit our special discount section of the FaerieCon website via the
following link.
http://www.faeriecon.com/theonering.html

Alan Lee Makes First US Convention Appearance at FaerieCon International
International best-selling illustrator and Oscar winning Conceptual Designer
Alan Lee is the Guest of Honor at FaerieCon International, October 10-12 at
the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/09/03/29663-alan-lee-and-brian-froud-ce
lebrate-30th-anniversary-of-faeries/

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

TORn braves airwaves with bi-weekly segment on ‘Fictional Frontiers’

TheOneRing.net will be providing a segment on this Sunday’s broadcast of
‘Fictional Frontiers with Sohaib,’ on WNJC 1360 AM, Philadelphia at 11AM ET.
http://www.wnjc1360.com/Shows/Fictional_Frontiers/fictional_frontiers.html

TORN Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a feature-length documentary that reveals the
ongoing cultural phenomenon created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and
often moving, Ringers shows the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and
how after 50 years a single literary work continues to spark the minds and
hearts of millions.
http://www.ringersstore.com

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/category/merchandise/

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net