[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (04/22/2007)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon at theonering.net
Sun Apr 22 22:15:10 EDT 2007

TORN #346

April 22nd, 2007

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

And the winner of the PF Frodo is....
Congratulations to discussion board member paleostone who won the drawing
for the "Premium Format" Frodo from Sideshow Collectibles just for posting
on the discussion boards!! Member Lurking Girl won the second prize of a
Battle of Helm's Deep set by Play Along. If you haven't joined us yet,
there's plenty of discussion of the new Children of Hurin book to be found
(as well as an upcoming chapter-by-chapter discussion), and many other fun
topics and great people! So go to the Login page
and sign up. See you there!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1177287209

Finally! The New York City Book Party report!
NEW YORK – Dimitri Bannikov traveled from Russia to be first in line at the
New York City Barnes & Noble where copies of “The Children of Hurin”
autographed by Christopher Tolkien and Alan Lee went on sale. Read more
here.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1177113197

"Hurin" rises from dead to humble "Potter"
Draug the Unspeakably Violent points out on our message boards found here,
that "The Children of Hurin" has humbled a certain boy wizard by knocking
him from the top spot on a bestseller's list. Seems J.R.R. Tolkien is still
a wee bit popular. The story can be found here. And of you can join the fray
and buy the new Tolkien book here.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1177089756

The Children of Húrin Giveaway Winners Announced!
TheOneRing.net would like to thank Houghton Mifflin for their extremely
generous donation of prizes for our Children of Húrin Giveaway. The day has
arrived for the winners to be announced! To find out who the lucky seven
winners are, please follow the link to our giveaway webpage. Winners have
until Monday, April 23rd to claim their prize. And don't forget to support
our sponsors!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1177071818

Behind the Movies: King Kong on YouTube
The 'Behind the Movies: King Kong' special that aired on CityTv earlier this
month is now on YouTube! Behind The Movies brings you the movies people love
and the ones they're anxiously waiting to see. What was the drama,
determination and the dreams that went into the making of these films and
what were the results? We focus in on the films that have become legendary,
were controversial, cult favourites or have yet to find their fate. Along
with film clips and footage from behind the scenes, we talk with the actors,
directors, producers, cinematographers, stunt people, costume designers or
whoever has a tale to tell.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1176945650

First Review of The Children of Hurin!
While we celebrate the release of The Children of Hurin in stores today,
take a moment to read Michael Rogers glowing review of the first Tolkien
novel to be released in years!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1176812383

Sam Raimi Talks 'The Hobbit'...Sorta
>From comingsoon.net (via Entertainment Weekly): Entertainment Weekly talked
to Spider-Man 3 director Sam Raimi, star Kirsten Dunst, and Sony's President
of Production Matt Tolmach about a possible fourth installment and what
would happen if Raimi took on The Hobbit. On the eve of what is expected to
be the biggest Spider-Man yet, Entertainment Weekly learns that director Sam
Raimi is seriously considering directing The Hobbit—a choice that could
potentially leave Spidey 4 without a director and, says Kirsten Dunst, a
leading lady.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1176765538

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon:

April 23rd: Online Tolkien Course at Cardiff University
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1155140891
April 24th: Middle-earth Online Game Launches!

Join us at the 'Hall of Fire'

Times:
Saturday Chat:
5:30pm ET (17:30)
[also 11:30pm (23:30) CET and 9:30am Sunday (09:30) AET]

Sunday Chat:
7:00 pm (19:00) CET
[also 2:00pm (14:00) ET and 5:00am (05:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
CET = Central European Time, Central Europe
AET = Australian East Coast

Do you have a possible topic for Hall of Fire? Drop us a line at halloffire
at theonering.net

TORN's Own Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Get breaking news on TORn! As the "Ringers" team completes work on this
exciting project, you can follow post-production and get EXCLUSIVE
announcements of who is starring in the film! Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a
feature-length documentary that reveals the ongoing cultural phenomenon
created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and often moving, Ringers shows
the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and how after 50 years a single
literary work continues to spark the minds and hearts of millions.
http://www.lordofthefans.net

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net