[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (07/30/2006)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon at theonering.net
Sun Jul 30 20:01:17 EDT 2006

TORN #313

July 30th, 2006

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

ELF 2006: Friday Images & Report
The ever busy Ringer Spy Garfeimao sends along this report and images from
our ELF convention in New Jersey this weekend! 'The show opened with Daniel
Reeve demonstrating some new Middle Earth fonts he will soon be releasing,
and him showing everyone some of the letters and maps and things he created
for the films. Michael Drout came on afterward and started his lecture by
reciting the opening lines to Beowulf, in Anglo-Saxon, no less...'
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1154191627

Comic Con 2006 Images
Ringer Spy Garfeimao sends along these images from San Diego Comic Con 2006.
She was one of the lucky ones to attend! Take a look at the Lost 'Charlie'
figure and some great new figures and busts from Sideshow!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1154190072

The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II, The Rise of the
Witch-king Announced
Electronic Arts officially announced today that they will continue to expand
The Lord of the Rings universe with The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for
Middle-earth II, The Rise of the Witch-king. As the expansion pack to the
fan favorite, The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II, this
Real-Time Strategy (RTS) game will enhance every existing feature and offer
players the chance to command the rise of evil in Middle-earth while
experiencing the epic battles that took place before those depicted in the
New Line Cinema films. Full of exciting content, including an entirely new
faction, completely new single player campaign, and additional units for all
six existing factions, The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth
II, The Rise of the Witch-king, allows players to explore the evil side of
Middle-earth. The all new single player campaign's innovative units will
help to tell the story of the evil Witch-king's rise to power, domination of
Angmar and invasion of the great kingdom of Arnor, home to Aragorn's
ancestors. To fully experience the evil side of Middle-earth, gamers can now
play as the Angmar faction in skirmish, multiplayer, and War of the Ring
modes.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1154189029

Limited Edition LOTR DVDs Pre-Order
Earl writes: The 2-disc Limited Edition DVDs are up for pre-order on Amazon.
Though the price shown is $28.98 each, Amazon is offering a 12% discount; so
that makes it $16.98 each.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1154188553

New Details Emerge on The Lord of the Rings: The White Council
Recently The Lord of the Rings: The White Council executive producer Steve
Gray revealed some details on the game. The White Council is set 80 years
before The Lord of the Rings, and the White Council itself is a group of
powerful wizards and elves including Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, Elrond,
Galadriel and Cirdan, who struggle to prevent the victory of evil. The
player begins as a nobody, but strives to earn the Council's recognition by
performing menial tasks. Once their importance can no longer be ignored, the
Council appoints the player to assist in directly fighting the forces of
evil.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1153670517

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Join us at the 'Hall of Fire'

Times:
Saturday Chat:
5:30pm ET (17:30)
[also 11:30pm (23:30) CET and 9:30am Sunday (09:30) AET]

Sunday Chat:
7:00 pm (19:00) CET
[also 2:00pm (14:00) ET and 5:00am (05:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
CET = Central European Time, Central Europe
AET = Australian East Coast

Do you have a possible topic for Hall of Fire? Drop us a line at halloffire
at theonering.net

TORN's Own Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Get breaking news on TORn! As the "Ringers" team completes work on this
exciting project, you can follow post-production and get EXCLUSIVE
announcements of who is starring in the film! Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a
feature-length documentary that reveals the ongoing cultural phenomenon
created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and often moving, Ringers shows
the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and how after 50 years a single
literary work continues to spark the minds and hearts of millions.
http://www.lordofthefans.net

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net