[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (7/16/2006)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon at theonering.net
Sun Jul 16 11:34:25 EDT 2006

TORN #311

July 16th, 2006

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Free Shipping Offer for 'Dork of the Rings'
Tim Richardson, Director of "The Dork of the Rings" writes: Save money and
be one of the first Dorkers to receive a copy of THE DORK OF THE RINGS which
goes on sale to the rest of the world at GenCon on August 10. Pre-order by
August 1 and get the 2-DVD set for $20.00 and pay NOTHING for postage. NADA.
ZERO. ZILCH. So what do ya think of them apples?
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1153062995

SHOP: Morgul Lord Legendary Scale Bust Pre-Order
Sideshow Collectibles has just posted the Morgul Lord Legendary Scale bust
for pre-sale on their website. The 1/2 scale bust stands approximately
22-inches tall and is cast in polystone and fiberglass, hand finished and
painted. If you are a Morgul Lord fan, you may want to check this one out!
http://affiliates.sideshowtoy.com/Tracker.aspx?aid=3&href=http://www.sidesho
wtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=2932&source=home_flashPreorder&affiliate=
1

EA Unveils the Lord of The Rings, The White Council
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., July 13, 2006 – Electronic Arts (NASDAQ: ERTS)
announced today the development of The Lord of the Rings™, The White
Council™, an all-new role playing game (RPG) for the Xbox 360™ video game
and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and
PC. The game, inspired by the New Line Cinema feature film trilogy that
grossed more than $3 billion, will feature an original storyline derived
from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings novels under an agreement with
EA. The game is scheduled to ship in late 2007. “Our extremely talented and
dedicated team is committed to creating an incredible new experience for
fans of The Lord of the Rings and role playing gamers,” said Steve Gray,
executive producer, The Lord of the Rings, The White Council. “With its next
generation gameplay and epic new storyline, we think The Lord of the Rings,
The White Council will be a huge success.”
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1152840201

Lord Of The Rings Online Beta Approaches 100,000 Sign-Ups
Codemasters has today confirmed that the number of sign-ups to take part in
the European beta tests of Lord of the Rings: Shadows of Angmar is
approaching the 100,000 mark. Currently in development for PC by MMO
veterans Turbine, the game is being published by Codies' online gaming
division in Europe, and by Midway in North America. As a result of the
impending magic figure, Codemasters has announced that the 100,000th user to
register for the beta will receive a 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of
J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings collected works and, when it it's
launched, a special edition of The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of
Angmar. Runners-up (the four sign-ups either side of 100,000) will also
receive a limited edition of the game. To register for the beta, and
possibly be the 100,000th sign-up, go to http://lotro-europe.com/beta.

LOTROnline Chat with Jeffrey Steefel Posted
TheOneRing.net was pleased to have Jeffrey Steefel, executive producer of
Turbine’s new MMORPG in chat today for a Q&A session. The room was packed
and we had no way of getting to all the questions! Jeffrey has agreed to
answer some of the questions that were missed due to time constraints and we
’ll post this as soon as possible. For now, we’ve posted a log of the chat
for you to read.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1152583165

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon:

July 18th: Sarah McLeod's Birthday
July 20th: LOTR Concert Series, San Diego, CA (Embarcadero Marina)
July 22nd: McKellen's 'A Knight Out in L.A.' Show

Join us at the 'Hall of Fire'

Times:
Saturday Chat:
5:30pm ET (17:30)
[also 11:30pm (23:30) CET and 9:30am Sunday (09:30) AET]

Sunday Chat:
7:00 pm (19:00) CET
[also 2:00pm (14:00) ET and 5:00am (05:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
CET = Central European Time, Central Europe
AET = Australian East Coast

Do you have a possible topic for Hall of Fire? Drop us a line at halloffire
at theonering.net

TORN's Own Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Get breaking news on TORn! As the "Ringers" team completes work on this
exciting project, you can follow post-production and get EXCLUSIVE
announcements of who is starring in the film! Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a
feature-length documentary that reveals the ongoing cultural phenomenon
created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and often moving, Ringers shows
the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and how after 50 years a single
literary work continues to spark the minds and hearts of millions.
http://www.lordofthefans.net

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net