[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (28/12/2003)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:38:15 -0500

"RINGERS": A Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

TORN #204

Sunday December 28th, 2003

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

LA Line Party Pics
Suzanne sends along these great pics of TORN Staffers Calisuri & Asfaloth
having a great time in LA with the one and only Sala Baker.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072658556

'King' continues box office reign
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Hobbits held sway at movie theaters
around the world over the Christmas holiday weekend as the final installment
in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy powered towards $500 million after less
than two weeks. According to studio estimates issued on Sunday, "The Lord of
the Rings: The Return of the King" has grossed $492.1 million from North
America and 38 countries elsewhere.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072654329

Toronto Ice Exhibition Goes Geek Again!
The three-day ice-carving exhibition and competition in Toronto is a 21-year
holiday tradition showcasing the work of Ontario's top ice carvers. Watch
the carvers chisel more than 20,000 kg of ice into magnificent sculptures
inspired by Peter Jackson's final fantastic theatric masterpiece, The Lord
of the Rings: The Return of the King established in partnership with
Alliance Atlantis Motion Picture Distribution.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072632075

Prize winners for TORn Line Party contest
A little post-Christmas bonus for a lucky few who participated in the Line
Party, Royal Selangor contest. Hundreds of LP3 participants registered for
the giveaway and five were lucky enough to be awarded prizes.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072502499

More Behind-The-Scenes Pictures
Earlier today we posted a small bunch of behind-the-scenes photos from
Return of the King. Now, we have a bunch more courtesy of Cinematrix.hu.
There's also a couple of production publicity still mixed in. !!!Spoilers!!!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072490855

CNN Puts RotK in Top Ten Films of '03
Alisha Davis ranks RotK in her top ten this year. Thanks again to Ringer
ShelaghC for the news.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072385890

There And Back Again - Part II
Ringer Spy Pippin Skywalker attended the world premiere of Return of the
King in Wellington on December 1. Okay, this report is a little late (my
fault), but this was her experience. !!!Spoilers!!!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072300645

RotK EE Rumored 'longer than 4 hours and 50 min.'
I cannot verify the credibility of this report, but Ringer Andy sends in
this exciting news.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072201478

Letterman's Top 10 Dumb Guy Complaints about LOTR
Finally!! Thanks to Ringer Summer for sending this in. Let's start with #10:
"I expected something a little more, you know, hobbity."
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072198787

Cinefex Talks ROTK Special Effects
The December issue of Cinefex Magazine features this look at special effects
in 'The Return of the King'. Beware! The images we've selected to show you
are FULL of !!!SPOILERS!!!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072148386

Fake Dvds Seized
More than 2,000 fake DVDs of the latest Lord of the Rings film have been
seized at Heathrow airport.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1072143033

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

COMING SOON
December 29th: Brian Sergent's Birthday
January 3rd 2004: J.R.R. Tolkien's Date of Birth

TORN's Own Book: The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Cold Spring Press is pleased to announce its new book "The People's Guide to
J.R.R. Tolkien." This book of essays fills the void between the release of
the second and third Lord of the Rings movies. Passionate, ardent,
well-informed, and unlike any other book on the subject, this is an
indispensable handbook for people who consider themselves experts -- or who
wish to become experts -- on the lore of Middle-earth and the man who made
the myths.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

A New Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net - 'Ringers"
see below

TheOneRing.net, in association with Planet BB, is turning the spotlight on
the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien in a new feature-length documentary titled
"Ringers: Lord of the Fans." Yes, this is a film about YOU, the FANS!
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien’s thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718