[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newlsetter (07/04/03)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:18:37 -0400

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET (SEE BELOW)

TORN #168

Monday April 7th, 2003

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Get your own 'TTT' Pin Today!
Paul Badali sent in this word that YOU can get your own 'Two Towers: One
Party' pins that we gave to all the Oscar Nominees last month. Take a look
at this eBay listing and get bidding!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1049683932

More Sean Astin Reports
Here are a few more VERY detailed reports from a few of the lucky people who
attended the 'Long and Short of It'/'TTT' screening with Sean Astin in
Portland!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1049683507

One Party - Irascian's Final Report
Ringer Spy Irascian reports that he's posted the final page in his six-part
report on TORn's Two Towers - One Party Oscar event. If you haven't yet seen
what all the fuss was about, wander across and take a look!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1049611600

WETA Talks Linux Hacking
ComputerWorld Magazine has a great, albeit slightly short, article featuring
snippets of an interview with Milton Ngan which hints at some of the issues
that WETA Digital came up against when transitioning from IRIX to Linux.
Exceeding the 4GB memory limit under IA32 seems to have been the biggest
problem - no word on whether they felt the problems were finally worth it.
Thanks to Starlady for the heads up.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1049546684

Lord of the Pins II (Return of the Pin)
Last year Paul Badali created 18 stunning mallorn leaf pins for the LOTR
cast and crew nominated for an Oscar. We were more than stunned while
watching the Oscars from our first party, and seeing PJ and others wearing
the pins! It was at that moment that I knew we’d be doing something special
for them again in 2003.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1049328857

TTT: EE Rated PG-13
David writes: The mpaa.org/filmratings.com website has a new addition to the
database: The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers Special Extended
Edition(2003), New Line Home Entertainment. PG-13 Rated PG-13 for epic
battle sequences and scary images.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1049124637

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon

- TheOneRing.net sat down with Billy Boyd while he was in the big apple, see
what the young Scotsman has to say!
- Calisuri was paid a visit by Andy Serkis recently, hear what the
Englishman has to say about TTT
- Xoanon recently chatted with Ian McKellen while on the set of 'X2', hear
what he tells us about his latest project!

TORN's Own Book: The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Cold Spring Press is pleased to announce its new book "The People's Guide to
J.R.R. Tolkien." This book of essays fills the void between the release of
the second and third Lord of the Rings movies. Passionate, ardent,
well-informed, and unlike any other book on the subject, this is an
indispensable handbook for people who consider themselves experts -- or who
wish to become experts -- on the lore of Middle-earth and the man who made
the myths.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just pilgrims on
the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of all the ages
of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie beneath the wave.
Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages, find out what new
editions of old favorites are coming to market, read in-depth commentary on
Tolkien’s thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted original works or
humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have a little
something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718