[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (12/08/02)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:05:31 -0400

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET (SEE BELOW)

TORN #139

Monday August 12th, 2002

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Congratulations Sean & Christine Astin!
TheOneRing.net and its staff would like to offer our congratulations and
best wishes to Sean Astin and his wife Christine after the healthy birth of
their second daughter, Elizabeth Louise Astin, on August 6th, 2002. May you
have many happy years together!

Howard Shore Hollywood Bowl Concert Report
Jeff sent in one of the first reports from Howard Shore's concert at the
Hollywood Bowl last night.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1029069383]

Brentano's Book Signing Event Video!
In what we plan to become a regular event, we bring you another great fan
event. Our first is from LA, where TORn staffers Asfaloth and Quickbeam
attended the Brentano's Book Signing from a few months ago! Featuring Sean
Astin, Peter Jackson, Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1028914254]

London Loves Lee
The world and his wife were queuing along New Oxford Street this afternoon
as they waited patiently for an audience with Saruman The White himself, on
site signing autographs at Forbidden Planet.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1028656388]

TORN Exclusive: Lawrence Makoare Chat Transcript!
During Comic-con 2002 last weekend the all around nice guy Lawrence Makoare
(Lurtz) dropped into Barlimans chatroom and talked with the people present
for a while! The transcript of his visit is online now and can be found
here!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1028655165]

GAMING: Two Towers Cancelled?
Rumor has it that the PC version of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
has most likely been cancelled and that Ritual is no longer working on the
project. IGN learned that the PC version wouldn't be done within an
acceptable window near the release of the movie, so publisher Electronic
Arts scrapped the game for the PC.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1028636858]

GAMING: LOTR "RISK"
TheOneRing.net Staffer Ostadan sends in word of "Lord of the Rings RISK"
from Hasbro. Lord of the Rings RISK will be released in the US in November.
It is for 2 to 4 players and encompasses, geographically and thematically,
the first two movies/book in the series.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1028593414]

Massive Hall of Fire Update!
The HoF transcripts page is one of the more popular sections of TORn; we
receive many e-mails from people who say they enjoy reading the transcripts.
Of late, those e-mails have been wondering when recent chats would be
posted. Finally, I can announce that TORn staffer Arathorn has brought the
chats up to date. There are more than a dozen new chat transcripts for you
all to pore over!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1028534028]

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Pre-Order The FOTR DVD TODAY!

The time has arrived! You can purchase the 208 minute version of Fellowship
of the Ring! Choose from either the standard 4 disc set, or the super cool
Collector's Edition Gift Set, which features figures from Sideshow/Weta and
an expanded National Geographic DVD.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1023420947]

ps - All of these links will allow for a percentage of your purchase to be
contributed to TheOneRing.net. So thanks ahead of time!

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
[http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html]

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The Bastards Have Landed' is
the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

We have new and updated -Green Books- for July. Quickbeam's Out on a Limb
article features a unique "Conversation with a Newbie". The very clever
Anwyn wonders if there is a right way or wrong way to read Tolkien in her
new Counterpoint article. Go Tookish! He has the ever-so-zany job of running
the greatest Tolkien humor section you’ve ever seen. Moon Letters brings you
new Fan Fiction, poetry, writing and more!
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from Rolozo
Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718