[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (03/05/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 3 May 2001 17:23:24 -0400

                                                         - WORLDWIDE BIGGEST
TOLKIEN FAN CONTEST!! -

Enter today! see below

TORN #80

Thursday May 3, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Casting News! That Hobbit... Update
If you recall, we released an image of two hobbits sitting on a
wall in Hobbiton on Monday. [Here] Thanks to a very observant
Ringer fan Sam, we now have a name for one of the faces. The
hobbit on the left (our left) is Timothy Bartlett, a Wellington (NZ)
stage actor best known for playing Bernie Leach on Shortland Street.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/988811410]

Hobbits! Super Spy Ciggy Returns
A face from the past has returned with two new images of Hobbits!
!SPOILERS!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/988647990]

Want to HEAR Liv Tyler SPEAK Elvish?!
Here it is folks, from last weeks 'Conan Obrien' Show. We have Liv
Tyler (Arwen) speaking elvish! Click on the link to listen (MP3 or
Real Audio needed).
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/988566180]

Get those Elven boats from another angle!
Thanks to Robbit the Hobbit, we have a picture of the Elven boats
casting off on the Anduin, from another angle. !SPOILERS!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/988514580]

Liv on Conan: Liv speaks ELVISH!!!
Liv Tyler (Arwen) was on Late Night with Conan Obrian and she
mentions quite allot about LOTR. And thanks to Conan (who you
should ALL love anyway) manages to get Liv to SPEAK some elvish!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/988348011]

Sideshow Press Release
Sideshow Inc. of Westlake Village, CA has partnered with Weta
Workshop of New Zealand to develop multiple lines of polystone
collectibles based on the upcoming film trilogy, The Lord of the Rings.
Weta Workshop is the Special Effects Company that created the
effects for all three Lord of the Rings films.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/988248687]

A Music Scoop!
Members of Dublin band 'The Barleyshakes' are set to record some
music for the Rings soundtrack while they are in New Zealand.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/987761919]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

Welcome to the Green Books of Middle-earth! Not to be confused
with the Red Book, we are simply pilgrims on the Tolkien trail,
exploring aspects of his beautifully created secondary reality. Here
you will find original columns and book reviews from the Green Books
Staff; Quickbeam, Turgon and Anwyn will each be working to bring
fresh viewpoints to some time-honored Tolkien themes. Here also you
will find trivia contests, Q&A, and several other new sections. Get
started below!
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Exclusive: Brad Dourif Interview!

Ringer staff member Thorongil had the chance to met up with Brad Dourif
(Grima Wormtongue) at last month's ICON 20 convention in Stoneybrook, NY.
Thorongil had the chance to find out what Brad thinks about Grima, the LOTR
sets, Peter Jackson, his fellow cast members and much more! Check out this
exclusive interview AND the accompanying real audio files for more!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/988660023]

Eyada.com and TheOneRing.net

You can catch the latest 'Lord of the Rings' update on internet radio at
eyada.com.
Yours truly gives the 'non-tolkien world' a small update on all the latest.
Check it out
this week for news on Cannes, Liv's 'Mcool's' bad reviews, and the Howard
Shore
score (with apologies to Tehanu and the entire NZSO, she was kidding!).
Follow the
link below, click on April 27 on the right side, and click on 'Play' next to
Xoanon.
[http://eyada.com/show_archives.cfm?showid=7

Hall of Fire Topic for May 5 & 6

Arwen Evenstar

We've been hearing a lot about Liv Tyler in the news lately, so we thought
we'd
talk about her character Arwen for our next Hall of Fire chat. Clearly an
essential,
albeit behind-the-scenes character, Lady Undomiel is peerless in her time on
Middle-earth. She makes one of the greatest sacrifices an Elf can give, yet
we read
more of her in the Appendixes of Return of the King then throughout the
trilogy.
Early LotR movie rumors and gossip often turned to Arwen's character in the
films as
Tolkien purists recoiled at the thought of expanding her roll in the plot
and perhaps
taking creative license with her personality. Now we can actually hear her
speak Elvish!

We offer three sessions for our discussions. First-timers are always
welcome!

Place: #thehalloffire on theonering.net server; come to theonering.net's
chat room Barliman's and then type /join #thehalloffire .
Saturday Chat: 7:00 pm ET (19:00) [also 12:00 am Sunday (0:00) GMT and 9:00
am Sunday (09:00) AET]
Sunday Chat: 8:00 pm (20:00) AET [also 11:00 am (11:00) GMT and 6:00 am
(06:00) ET]
Sunday Chat: 6:00 pm (18:00) GMT [also 1:00 pm (13:00) ET and 3:00 am
(03:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
GMT = Greenwich Mean Time, Western Europe
AET = Australian Eastern Time, Australia's East Coast

TheOneRing,net's Worldwide Tolkien Fan Search 2001!!

We here at TORN are searching the world over for the world's biggest Tolkien
fan.
Do you have an entire room devoted to your Tolkien collection? Or maybe a
tattoo
of Smeagol in an area you can't disclose to the general public? Or better
yet, maybe
you have a set of triplets named Gandalf, Saruman and Sauron! Well, we wanna
hear
about it! So, all you Tolkien-maniacs out there write your story down, or
take a photo
of what you think makes you the "World's biggest Tolkien fan!"
[http://www.theonering.net/theonering/contests/fansearch2001.html]

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in
those letters! I love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to
say hi? Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you
want to speak with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221