[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (29/06/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 14:30:26 -0400

TORN #87

Friday June 29, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

BookExpo Report with some Cool Info!!
Ringer Spy Kinch sends along word on the recent Book Expo that
was attended by Houghton Mifflin and suits from New Line, Kinch
also sends along word of not one but TWO TV specials coming this
fall!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993828913]

JVC JOINS WITH NEW LINE CINEMA TO PROMOTE
"THE LORD OF THE RINGS" TRILOGY
JVC to be the Exclusive Electronics Partner in Promoting the Highly
Anticipated Epic Adventure Trilogy
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993764583]

WETA/Sideshowtoy Series II Pics!
Check out the amazing Series II Pieces from WETA/Sideshowtoy!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993676727]

EXCLUSIVE First Look at the 'Official Movie Guide!'
TheOneRing.net gives you an EXCLUSIVE look at the 'Official Movie
Guide' by Brian Sibley. Thanks to Ringer Spy Roxanne, we have 10
pages of the book available online for your viewing pleasure. Check out
the picture of Frodo while he heals in Rivendell!!! !SPOILERS!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993472351]

The Cave Troll!!
Last week, Super Spy Big Jerk sent us a bunch of new images. So
what's going to top that? How about a rendered look at the Mines of
Moria Cave Troll? Sounds good to me! !SPOILERS
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993450740]

Female Songbird to Record Song for LOTR?
Which female vocalist is rumored to be working on a song for LOTR?
Click on over to see!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993399325]

Tentative video and DVD release dates?
Ringer Spy Palleon mailed us to say that he has some confirmed release
dates for video and DVD releases in the UK. Apparently it's very likely
that United Kingdom ringers won't see any of the films in their stores until
the Summer after the film. So the Fellowship of the Ring won't be available
until Summer 2002, and so on.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993383542]

New Fellowship Poster?
Our good pals from Corona Comming Attractions has posted news that
there will be a new FOTR poster coming soon! HRM...I'll get my feelers
out there this weekend... (Scroll down to the bottom)
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/993277809]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

Check out the new Green Books for June. Anwyn has a great new
Counterpoint about MAGIC, with emphasis on the 'gift of Art.' Check
out Turgon's Bookshelf for a publicity interview with Tom Shippey,
author of "J.R.R. Tolkien, Author of the Century. And a very nice surprise:
new Tributes from authors Harry Turtledove and Lisa Goldstein, part
of the forthcoming anthology, Meditations on Middle-earth, edited by
Karen Haber (St. Martin's Press, Nov. 2001). Our Special Guest takes
a spin on Tolkien's most mysterious character: "Who is Tom Bombadil?"
Enjoy the crazy comedic compendium of Tookish's Ticklers.
The ever-popular Q&A has 16 new articles
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Vote Us a Webbie!!

This years 'Webbies' are being tallied and we at TheOneRing.net want you to
vote for us!

What are the People's Voice Awards (Webbies)? In a rousing tribute to
democracy on the Web, The Webby Awards asks the public to vote for their
favorite Web sites in the fifth annual People's Voice Awards, sponsored by
Earthlink. (http://www.webbyawards.com/)

So now we want you to vote us in the 'Film' Category. All you have to do is
click on over to this link (http://www.webbyawards.com/peoplesvoice/) and
click on 'register to vote'.

Registration is as simple as entering your email address and your name
(initials will do fine). Your password will be emailed to you in a matter of
minutes, and after you get it, click on over to the main vote page and enter
your password.

All you then have to do is click on the 'film' category and enter our name
and URL, then simply click on us and hit 'Submit vote!' and you're done!

Hall of Fire discussions for June 30th and July 1st

Now that Summer's in full flight, what better way to spend some of your free
time
then coming to the Hall of Fire this weekend! And this week we've got
another
great topic up for debate.

Favorite Human Warriors

Unlike elves, humans have short lifespans, yet gave unstintingly of
themselves to
help rid evil from Middle-earth. There are so many: Hurin, Turin and Huor;
Barahir
and Beren; Aragorn; Haleth, Eowyn...what drove these characters? Who is your
favorite and why?

Come on down to The Hall of Fire to talk some serious Tolkien as we explore
these
characters and their motivation together. We offer three sessions and
newcomers are
always welcome!

Place: #thehalloffire on theonering.net server; come to theonering.net's
chat room Barliman's and then type /join #thehalloffire .
Saturday Chat: 7:00 pm ET (19:00) [also 12:00 am Sunday (0:00) BST and 9:00
am Sunday (09:00) AET]
Sunday Chat: 8:00 pm (20:00) AET [also 11:00 am (11:00) BST and 6:00 am
(06:00) ET]
Sunday Chat: 6:00 pm (18:00) BST [also 1:00 pm (13:00) ET and 3:00 am
(03:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
BST = British Summer Time, GMT +1 hour
AET = Australian Eastern Time, Australia's East Coast

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to say hi?
Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak
with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221