[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (14/06/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:25:13 -0400

TORN #85

Thursday June 14, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

2 New FOTR Trailers in Sept?
A trusted spy brings word of New Line's plans for the new FOTR
trailer at your local cinemas, as well as word of the possibility of 2
new trailers this fall!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/992492035]

News FLASH for Kiwis!!!
The release date for 'The Fellowship of the Ring' has been moved
forwards to.....December 19th!! Scoop carries the story.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/992490419]

SideShow/WETA Series II Online
SideShow/WETA Toys has updated their 'Lord of the Rings' section
with series two collectibles. We've seen these from promotion scans,
but the high quality images we find on the website are just amazing.
Boy I wish I had money! !SPOILERS!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/992442872]

Rings rough cut thrills
New Line Cinema boss Robert Shaye was "thrilled" with the rough
cut of the first Lord Of The Rings film, after flying into Wellington from
Los Angeles in his private jet last week to check on progress...
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/992351858]

Toy Biz Hire Canadian Distributor
Grand Toys International today released a press release on their site
Grand.com, announcing that they have been given the license to distribute
Toy Biz's Lord Of The Rings action figures in Canada. Grand also
distributes X-Men and Spider Man action figures and the best-selling
Furby interactive toys.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/992290541]

More on BK/LOTR
There is a small article discussing the New Line and Burger King
arrangement at ICV2.com today. The article relates how the 'whopper'
(had to use a pun, come on now...heh) deal essentially allows Burger
King to have three straight years of promotion.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/992266862]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

Check out the new Green Books for June. Anwyn has a great new
Counterpoint about MAGIC, with emphasis on the 'gift of Art.' Check
out Turgon's Bookshelf for a publicity interview with Tom Shippey,
author of "J.R.R. Tolkien, Author of the Century. And a very nice surprise:
new Tributes from authors Harry Turtledove and Lisa Goldstein, part
of the forthcoming anthology, Meditations on Middle-earth, edited by
Karen Haber (St. Martin's Press, Nov. 2001). Our Special Guest takes
a spin on Tolkien's most mysterious character: "Who is Tom Bombadil?"
Enjoy the crazy comedic compendium of Tookish's Ticklers.
The ever-popular Q&A has 16 new articles
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Live Tolkien Discussions June 16 & 17

The Hall of Fire continues to bring on the chats! This weekend our topic is
sure to tickle all you hobbit fanatics
.
Hobbits. Their History, Their Leadership, Their Way of Life

We're going deep into Hobbit lore this weekend, as we fully explore what we
know about these amazing people. From hairy toes to smoke rings, six meals
a day and the giving of mathoms, there is much to relish in these people who
are short in stature but so big in our hearts. Come join with us as we
explore
what I personally feel is Tolkien's finest creation!

Place: #thehalloffire on theonering.net server; come to theonering.net's
chat room
Barliman's and then type /join #thehalloffire .

Saturday Chat: 7:00 pm ET (19:00) [also 12:00 am Sunday (0:00) BST and 9:00
am Sunday (09:00) AET]
Sunday Chat: 8:00 pm (20:00) AET [also 11:00 am (11:00) BST and 6:00 am
(06:00) ET]
Sunday Chat: 6:00 pm (18:00) BST [also 1:00 pm (13:00) ET and 3:00 am
(03:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
BST = British Summer Time, GMT +1 hour
AET = Australian Eastern Time, Australia's East Coast
 special thanks to OldWolf for helping us out with the time change.

Worldwide Tolkien Fan Search Winners!

We have gone over the entire planet with a fine toothed comb, searching for
the world's biggest Tolkien fans, and we've found them! A special thanks to
all our entries, and congratulations to the lucky winners!

Who is the winner for 2001? Congratulations to Ken Chaij of Pittsburgh, PA.
Ken has a Tolkien collection that will blow your mind.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/992263264]

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to say hi?
Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak
with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221