[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (05/04/01)

Xoanon xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:13:40 -0400

V1 #77

Thursday April 5, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

The Poster is Back! - UPDATE
Version A of the Official Lord of the Rings Teaser poster is back
at the New Line Shop. You know, the one with Elijah looking at us.
Hopefully the marketing folks over at New Line ordered a large enough
stock for ALL!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/986477074]

Yet MORE LOTR Books for you to Drool Over!
Ringer Spy 200 decided to throw his/her hat into the ring and send along
4 more LOTR Books being issued by Harper Collins in North America!
Check them out!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/986248716]

EXCLUSIVE! Wanna see the Official book Covers?
Well, in what seems to be an endless day of BIG news, Green Books
staffer Turgon sends us more! Check out the cover images and a short
description for the release of "The Lord of the Rings Official Movie
Guide" and "The Fellowship of the Ring Visual Companion." SPOILERS
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/986238924]

EXCLUSIVE! NL Images from Ringer Spy Scrow
Super Ringer Spy Scrow sent us these great pics from an insider in the
production. Take a look at these great pics of Arwen, Boromir, Legolas
and Saruman! MAJOR SPOILERS
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/986225646]

New Arwen and Gimli pics!
Aint-it-cool-news.com has some new pictures up from Liv Tyler (Arwen)
and John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) in full costume! The scans are apparently
from the New Zealand edition of Woman's Weekly.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/986213164]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There
is the Fun Section, Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and
of course the gateway to our ever famous MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

The super-cool new Green Books has updated for March.
Quickbeam goes 'Out on a Limb' and reveals the TRUE lead
character of LOTR, and you may be surprised it's not Frodo!
Read up on 15 new 'Questions & Answers'-- Tookish has
fresh Ticklers-- and a secret Special Guest writes 'In Arwen's
Defense.'  You could be our next Guest, so check it out.  Come
explore the Words and Worlds of Tolkien with us!
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings
Director's very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man,
the myth, the bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The
Bastards Have Landed' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out
our listing of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got
everything from Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth
image ever created, to our FX section, devoted to the magic of motion
picture special effects. As well as a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and
TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking
on over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

Palantir Premonitions (Things to come)

Hall of Fire Debates April 7 & 8

It's high time we had a good ole fashioned mud-hurling debate in
The Hall of Fire, and I hope this topic serves. A hotly debated subject
for decades:

Tolkien and Allegory

The Professor himself denies it, but millions of readers can't be wrong,
can they? Is the work of JRR Tolkien supposed to be allegorical? People
compare The Silmarillion to the Bible, The War of the Ring to World Wars
I and II, and Gandalf to Jesus. On the one hand, Tolkien has flatly stated
that he did not intend for The Lord of the Rings to be allegorical, but on
the
other hand, footnotes and quotes from the author belie this stance.

What do you believe? Come to The Hall of Fire and share your thoughts with
us! Newcomers always welcome.

Place: #thehalloffire on theonering.net server; come to theonering.net's
chat room
Barliman's and then type /join #thehalloffire .

Saturday Chat: 7:00 pm ET (19:00) [also 12:00 am Sunday (0:00) GMT and
 9:00 am Sunday (09:00) AET]
Sunday Chat: 8:00 pm (20:00) AET [also 11:00 am (11:00) GMT and 6:00 am
(06:00) ET]
Sunday Chat: 6:00 pm (18:00) GMT [also 1:00 pm (13:00) ET and 3:00 am
(03:00) Monday morning AET]
ET = Eastern Time, the time on the USA's east coast
GMT = Greenwich Mean Time, the time in Western Europe
AET = Australian Eastern Time, the time on Australia's east coast

Please send in your questions and topic ideas
for future chats to tookish@theonering.net.

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in
those letters! I love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to
say hi? Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you
want to speak with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221