[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter 06/07/00

Xoanon Xoanon@theonering.net
Thu, 06 Jul 2000 11:02:43 -0400

--------------FB072D603F7E2F26E8D5281C

http://theonering.net  Newsletter

V1 #50

Thursday July 6, 2000

Here it is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy..

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

LOTR Board Game Confirmed! Rumors of the LOTR
Board Game have recently popped up at DragonCon
this past week-end. TheOneRing.net can now confirm
that there WILL be a LOTR board game designed by
Reiner Knizia! [More]

LOTR Trailer: November: Since we posted the news
on a possible November theatre trailer for LOTR,
spies in the american movie business have been
sending me emails saying we've hit the nail on the
head. [More]

Marvel's LOTR Press Release: Marvel rather
unceremoniously announced their work on New
Line's LOTR action figures, read it here. [More]

Busch-Man Reveals all!! Ringer Spy Busch-Man
sends in his review of the SIX Minute footage seen
at ShoWEST! [More]

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on
the latest RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it
out daily for gaming news.

There's a big update at Green Books!  Turgon commits
"Literary Sacrilege" by endorsing the infamous Bored of the
Rings parody on his Bookshelf!  Anwyn has a thought
provoking new Counterpoint.  Our most popular feature, the
Questions & Answers, continues to explode: there are 28 new
articles that reveal Tolkien's most difficult secrets.  Lots of
new Moon Letters too...  Join us at Green Books as we
explore the words and world of Tolkien.

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) is always a fun
place to snoop around and learn more of the man behind the
movie. We care currently re working our members packages!
Sign-up to receive great gifts! Are you a bastard yet?

Palantir Premonitions (What's to come)

Hall of Fire Chat

My comrades Gandalf and Gamgee have recently returned
from an excursion to Rivendell. There they met with
Elrond to ponder at length an important topic, and they
were good enough to bring the gem back for us to discuss
as well:

What is the Nature of Magic in Middle-earth?

Throughout the history of Tolkien's world, the use of what
we call magic was a regular practice for both the side of
Good as well as Evil. Spells are woven and cast, swords
glow blue when enemies are close at hand, Sauron hurls
fire from Orthanc, Burt the Troll's handbag talks, rings
lend their wearers special abilities and powers... From
palantiri to the rods of the five wizards, what is it all about?
Elves don't prefer the word 'magic,' so what is it exactly?

In addition to this, we'll share our favorite magic moments.
What is yours: the mirror of Galadriel, Luthien casting her
spell on Morgoth, Bilbo's vanishing act, Gandalf encountering
the winged Nazgul, or perhaps something else?

Time: Saturday, July 8, 5:30 EDT [10:30 GMT]
Place: #thehalloffire chatroom on TheOneRing.net server

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any
suggestions as to chat guests, content items, or just want to
say hi? Drop us a line at theonering@theonering.net, do you
want to speak with a specific person? just type in their handle
(i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in
those letters! I love to hear from you!

Xoanon & TheOneRing.net Team
http://theonering.net

http://theonering.net --------------FB072D603F7E2F26E8D5281C--