[Barlibash] Salem information

maegwen maegwen@theonering.net
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:27:27 -0400

Well, I think Salem sounds great, but (given that I have the luxury of
living somewhat nearby) I think I will save that for a nice spooky Autumn
visit. I know that after walking the whole of the exhibit (possibly twice),
I am going to want to find a place to sit and dish about what we've seen and
hopefully have a nice Boston-brewed beer.

Then, on to the Duck Tours or the Harbor Cruise or just poking around
Boston's awesome book stores and craft shops, before whatever our evening
plans are.

But Thor is really correct in saying that most of us will probably make our
plans on the ground. So, essentially there are two groups: one that wants to
head out at X-hour to do Salem, and the other folks who will probably
self-separate into whatever their interests are.

The only caveat being that anyone who wants to do the Harbor Cruise should
decide by breakfast on Thursday morning, so reservations can be made.

The post-exhibit options thus far (as I've read them):

Salem: Witch Museum, Witches and Seafarers Museum, House of Seven Gables,
etc. (http://www.salemwitchmuseum.com/)

Duck Tours: (http://www.bostonducktours.com/) $24 adult, 80 min.

Freedom Trail Harbor Cruise; (http://www.libertyfleet.com/special/index.htm)
$35 adults. There is also a Tall Ship Harbor Cruise at Sunset, 6-8 p.m., $30
adults (http://www.libertyfleet.com/daily/boston.htm)

Swan Boats: Be a real tourist and take a 15-minute Swan Boat ride
(http://www.swanboats.com/new/welcome.shtml)

Freedom Trail: (http://www.cityofboston.gov/freedomtrail/) Lots of walking,
takes 2-3 hours depending on how much you do along the way. There are also
guided tours available, at various rates.

SHOP: Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market
(http://www.faneuilhallmarketplace.com/) From fashion designers to local
artists... Food! Street Performers! Music!

Back Bay: Trinity Church! Brownstones! History! Museums! Shopping!
(http://www.letsgo.com/BOS/01-DiscoverBoston-18,
http://www.boston.com/travel/boston/neighborhoods/back_bay_index/,
http://www.aviewoncities.com/boston/backbay.htm)

BOOKS: Visit Pandemonium Books (Sci Fi and Fantasy, new and used) in
Cambridge   (http://www.pandemoniumbooks.com/)