[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter - November

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Sun Nov 1 09:44:36 CST 2009

TORN #381

November 2009

Got Facebook? Twitter? Join us!
Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/knucj5
Twitter: http://twitter.com/theoneringnet

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks Book Tour Announcement
TORN Pal Ethan Gilsdorf sends us word on his new book 'Fantasy Freaks and
Gaming Geeks' and a West Coast book tour, take a look! Ethan Gilsdorf
presents his travel memoir / pop culture narrative "FANTASY FREAKS AND
GAMING GEEKS: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers,
and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms." The book is an exploration and
celebration of fantasy and gaming subcultures. The events begin with a "geek
trivia contest" with prizes that tests the audience's knowledge of all
things Tolkien, Harry Potter, Dungeons & Dragons and more. Gilsdorf will
then read an excerpt from "Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks," followed by a
Q&A and book signing. More info: http://www.fantasyfreaksbook.com
http://tinyurl.com/y8f9zvz

John Rhys-Davies not Returning as Gimli
Thanks to many of you who sent in this story from Empireonline.com. I'm sure
we'll all miss John as part of The Hobbit cast. From Empireonline.com: John
Rhys-Davies was, of course, Gimli the dwarf in The Lord of the Rings, and
gave the series many of its funniest and most memorable moments. And while
Gimli doesn't appear in The Hobbit, his father Gloin does, so we asked him
recently whether he'd be back for another go. "I've already been asked and
to be honest with you, I wouldn't. I have already completely ruled it out.
There's a sentimental part of me that would love to be involved again.
Really I am not sure my face can take that sort of punishment anymore."
http://tinyurl.com/yb9bjyg

J.R.R. Tolkien Makes Forbes list of Top Earning Dead Celebrities
J.R.R. Tolkien was the fifth top earning dead celebrity on Forbes' list,
earning $50 Million last year. From Forbes.com: The creator of hobbits and
Middle Earth languages left a lasting legacy for his fans and family with
The Lord of the Rings franchise. The Tolkien estate and publisher
HarperCollins recently reached a settlement with New Line Cinema over
allegedly unpaid royalties from the Lord of the Rings movies. September's
agreement was reported at over $100 million, meaning J.R.R. Tolkien earned a
sizable income in the last year. His earning potential isn't dimming: The
Hobbit is rumored for release in 2011, with directors Guillermo del Toro and
Peter Jackson at the helm.
http://tinyurl.com/ycarhbm

A Note of Thanks to Radio City Prize Donors
As the excitement of the wonderful weekend many of us shared in New York
City for the Radio City Fellowship of the Ring concerts winds down, TORn
would like to officially thank the generous businesses that donated prizes
for various events held throughout the weekend. Follow the links to check
out their great merchandise: Royal Selangor - pewter Frodo goblet, pewter
Galadriel goblet; Jens Hansen - silver chain from their LOTR collection;
Impact Books - "Forging Dragons" book of dragon artwork by John Howe; author
Ethan Gilsdorf - copies of his book "Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks";
Fantasy Flight Games - Lord of the Rings - the Confrontation board games;
artist Colleen Doran - "Gimli's Gift" prints; Design Toscano - $25 gift
certificate; Alpha Video - Christopher Lee oldies DVDs; Weta Workshop - key
chains; Mythology Body - soaps; Vampirathemovie.com - temporary tattoos
designed by Daniel Reeve; Shop New Zeeland - manuka honey samples;
Connolly's Pub - pens; Idaho Potato Commission - various 'tater' related
prizes. Thank you all!
http://tinyurl.com/ydteqf2

TheOneRing.net Podcast: Bilbo Baggins Birthday Party
Join Cliff "Quickbeam" Broadway as he and other Tolkien fans celebrate
Bilbo's 111th birthday party with a picnic out at Los Angeles' Griffith
Park.
http://tinyurl.com/ya92omw

Trailer for Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood Expansion!
Turbine has just released the first video trailer for The Lord of the Rings
Online: Siege of Mirkwood, the upcoming digital expansion to the
award-winning MMO, which is scheduled to launch on December 1, 2009 in North
America. Siege of Mirkwood will expand the online world of Middle-earth
where players will join forces to press further eastward into the dark,
foreboding and treacherous forest of Mirkwood and take part in the epic
conclusion to Volume II of The Lord of the Rings Online.
http://tinyurl.com/ya478sa

More Casting Rumors
linuxelf sends along this article with more (in)correct casting rumors for
'The Hobbit'.
http://tinyurl.com/ydwakqu

McKellen talks 'Hobbit' on UK's Paul O'Grady Show
A few reports are coming in from Ringers who tuned into the UK's Channel 4
Paul O'Grady Show. Sir Ian McKellen was a special guest today, and confirmed
a few things: He has received 'both' scripts. Original LOTR cast members
will be returning. He has signed the declaration that he will not talk to
friends, family or even his agent about the script! He does not know who is
cast as Bilbo, but believes he will be an English actor. Sounds like a great
interview - hopefully it will be posted on the O'Grady site soon. Thanks to
Ringers Simon and Paul for the heads up.
http://tinyurl.com/ykamf22

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

TORN Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien
The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of TheOneRing.net
-- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his lore, the New
Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on Middle-earth.
TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of the original
articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages. This book
adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as well as
offering readers completely new articles that are not available online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien
Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon
Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"
Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a feature-length documentary that reveals the
ongoing cultural phenomenon created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and
often moving, Ringers shows the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and
how after 50 years a single literary work continues to spark the minds and
hearts of millions.
http://www.ringersstore.com

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET
TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?
We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/category/merchandise/

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

All the best,

Michael Regina
Editor in Chief - TheOneRing.net