[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter - September 2008

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Mon Sep 1 12:11:03 EDT 2008

TORN #368

September, 2008

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

MTV: John Noble won’t Reprise Role in ‘Hobbit’ Films
It has been well documented that Guillermo del Toro will approach the
original The Lord of the Rings cast to reprise their roles in Middle-earth
should the script call for it. News comes today from the MTV Movie Blog that
one such actor, John Noble, won’t be available.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/08/27/29592-mtv-john-noble-wont-reprise
-role-in-hobbit-films/

Scripting For “The Hobbit” Officially Begins!
It’s now official: The Lord of the Rings screenwriting team of Peter Jackson
(pictured), Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens will join The Hobbit director
Guillermo del Toro to pen the screenplay for the two planned Hobbit movies.
Sources tell EW.com that the scribes’ deals are all complete and they will
commence writing shortly.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/08/20/29501-scripting-for-the-hobbit-of
ficially-begins/

‘Hobbit’ Scripting Has Begun!
HobbitRinger forum member Elven reports: “Ive just got home from an early
screening of Hellboy II The Golden Army hosted by PopcornTaxi at the Greater
Union Cinema in Sydney, where Guillermo did a telephone Q & A from Berlin
after the film
The last question though related to the Hobbit - and
Guillermo said that although there was nothing to add at the moment - he can
say that scripting has started - and he described the process as something
‘beautiful.‘”
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/08/18/29466-hobbit-scripting-has-begun/

Sideshow’s Moria Orc Sculpt revealed!
Every wonder about the process behind those LOTR collectibles put out by
Sideshow Collectibles? Well, check out the latest production blog entry from
the Sideshow Development Team featuring the Moria Orc Premium Format Figure
in the sculpting stage. For a gallery of images, jump on over to the
SideshowCollectibles.com website.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/08/14/29442-sideshows-moria-orc-sculpt-
revealed/

Guillermo Del Toro shifts from Hellboy to Hobbit
The Times Online reports on Guillermo Del Toro’s transition from his other
projects to working on “The Hobbit:” “I’m trying to be faithful to what I
read when I was young. That’s The Hobbit I’m serving. I cannot serve a Peter
Jackson film. We also hope to bridge the trilogy. We will create an
expansion of what lies in the four books and in a number of appendices.”
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/08/07/29363-guillermo-del-toro-shifts-f
rom-hellboy-to-hobbit/

Another Round in the Tolkien vs. New Line Lawsuit
Voronwe the Faithful - attorney, forum member and resident advisor on the
Tolkien vs. New Line lawsuit reports:
“As I predicted, New Line has filed a new demurrer to the First Amended
Complaint, challenging the revamped Fraud cause of action, along with a
Motion to Strike punitive damages. No hearing date yet, but I’m sure that it
will be soon.”
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/08/07/29359-another-round-in-the-tolkie
n-vs-new-line-lawsuit/

Pauline Baynes, Tolkien’s favorite illustrator, dies at 85
TheOneRing.net is saddened today by the loss of a talented artist in the
fantasy realm: Pauline Baynes. Forum member N.E. Brigand alerted us to the
following story: Wayne Hammond reports the death of Baynes at her home in
Surrey. Pauline Baynes was the original illustrator of C.S. Lewis’s
Chronicles of Narnia series, as well as of Tolkien’s Farmer Giles of Ham
(1948), The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book
(1962), and Smith of Wootton Major (1967).
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/08/03/29303-pauline-baynes-tolkiens-fav
orite-illustrator-dies-at-85/

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

TORn braves airwaves with bi-weekly segment on ‘Fictional Frontiers’

TheOneRing.net will be providing a segment on this Sunday’s broadcast of
‘Fictional Frontiers with Sohaib,’ on WNJC 1360 AM, Philadelphia at 11AM ET.
http://www.wnjc1360.com/Shows/Fictional_Frontiers/fictional_frontiers.html

TORN Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a feature-length documentary that reveals the
ongoing cultural phenomenon created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and
often moving, Ringers shows the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and
how after 50 years a single literary work continues to spark the minds and
hearts of millions.
http://www.ringersstore.com

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/category/merchandise/

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net