[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter - March 2008

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Sat Mar 1 12:54:55 EST 2008

TORN #362

March, 2008

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Warner Bros. gobbles up New Line
>From Variety: New Line’s 40-year run as an independent studio ended Thursday
when Time Warner said it would fold the company into Warner Bros. New Line
will become a unit of Warners, maintaining separate development, production,
marketing, distribution and business affairs operations.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/28/28427-warner-bros-gobbles-up-new-
line/

Howard Shore Concert Updates - And Beware of Fakers!
>From the folks at HowardShore.com: We at HowardShore.com feel it is
necessary to alert fans and followers of The Lord of the Ring Symphony that
there are a number of concerts touring Germany that have no association with
Howard Shore.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/26/28421-howard-shore-concert-update
s-and-beware-of-fakers/

Howard Shore Talks ‘Hobbit’ in Switzerland
Ringer Chris sends along this intriguing spy report that seems to confirm
that Howard Shore will be scoring ‘The Hobbit’ films: Hi there! I was at the
world premiere of the Fellowship of the Ring performed live to the film
concert in Lucerne/Switzerland last night, at which Howard Shore was
present. Before the concert there was a brief talk with him, during which he
mentioned that “WE are going to start on the screenplay soon,” when asked
about The Hobbit.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/24/28408-howard-shore-talks-hobbit-i
n-switzerland/

March 25th is Tolkien Reading Day!
Get ready to sit down with friends and family to celebrate the 5th Annual
Tolkien Reading Day sponsored by The Tolkien Society. Each year, Tolkien
Reading Day is a chance for grownups and children to read together and share
their thoughts about stories by Tolkien that they have read and to maybe
discover new ones.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/22/28402-march-25th-is-tolkien-readi
ng-day/

Artist John Alvin 1948 - 2008
Roheryn writes: John Alvin, prolific poster artist of many films including
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, has died of a heart attack at age 59. More
details, plus a link to a gallery of his poster art at geeksofdoom.com.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/16/28382-artist-john-alvin-1948-2008
/

Andy Serkis Chimes in on ‘The Hobbit’
The Den of Geek has an interview with Andy Serkis in which Andy, like the
majority of the other LOTR alum, express interest in ‘The Hobbit’ films.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/15/28379-andy-serkis-chimes-in-on-th
e-hobbit/

Pandemic forging new Lord of the Rings game
Following a revealing EA presentation, the Mercenaries studio confirms new
title in the franchise based on Peter Jackson’s J.R.R. Tolkien-inspired
films.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/13/28375-pandemic-forging-new-lord-o
f-the-rings-game/

End of the Line for New Line?
>From IMDB: Time Warner executives are considering folding New Line into its
Warner Bros. division or keeping the brand as a separate production unit
with Warner Bros. handling its distribution, the Wall Street Journal
reported today (Monday), citing people familiar with the situation. The
newspaper said that in either scenario, New Line would be reduced to
producing low-budget films as it once did instead of blockbusters like its
recent Lord of the Rings trilogy. The Journal did not indicate what would
become of The Hobbit, the Lord of the Rings prequel, which New Line is
scheduled to produce this year.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/11/28370-end-of-the-line-for-new-lin
e/

Tolkien Estate Sues New Line
New Line Cinema is being sued once again over royalties relating to The Lord
of the Rings trilogy. This suit also has the possibility of derailing any
Hobbit movies currently in the works.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/11/28369-tolkien-estate-sues-new-lin
e/

Rare Copies of Hobbit on Auction
Bonhams Auction House in London has a signed first edition copy of the
Hobbit going up for auction. It is estimated that the auction could reach
close to $60,000. Also going on the block is a 1947 Swedish Edition (the
first foreign language edition of the Hobbit).
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/08/28368-rare-copies-of-hobbit-on-au
ction/

Christopher Lee willing to return as Saruman?
stormcrow20 writes: Popmatters has an article on the career of Christopher
Lee. Relevant excerpt: Lee not only has impressive knowledge of golf and
film, he also in something of an expert on the work of J.R.R. Tolkien.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/05/28357-christopher-lee-willing-to-
return-as-saruman/

iF Magazine Chats with Howard Shore about ‘Hobbit’ and ‘LOTR’
In an IF Magazine interview with LOTR composer Howard Shore, the interviewer
asks Howard Shore about his potential involvement with the upcoming ‘Hobbit’
films.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/05/28355-if-magazine-chats-with-howa
rd-shore-about-hobbit-and-lotr/

Further Proof that Del Toro is only 99%
So we’ve been saying for a week or so now that Del Toro is about 99%
confirmed to be the director of ‘The Hobbit’ films. Total Film has a report
out today with words right from Guillermo himself: “I think what happens
very often is that these rumors have a way of becoming real or not. I don’t
expect The Hobbit to be troublesome. But you know, then again, it may never
happen
 or it may!“
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/04/28350-further-proof-that-del-toro
-is-only-99/

EA Has Future LOTR Game Plans
During EA’s quarterly conference call with investors, CEO John Riccitiello
confirmed that EA expects to launch a new LOTR game in the coming year. We
expect to launch over 10 new titles including Spore, Dead Space,
Battlefield: Bad Company, Dragon Age, Boom Blox, Monopoly, Mercenaries 2,
UEFA Soccer, Lord of the Rings, Mirror’s Edge, Tiberium, SimAnimals,
Saboteur and FaceBreaker.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/02/02/28344-ea-has-future-lotr-game-pla
ns/

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

TORN Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a feature-length documentary that reveals the
ongoing cultural phenomenon created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and
often moving, Ringers shows the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and
how after 50 years a single literary work continues to spark the minds and
hearts of millions.
http://www.ringersstore.com

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/category/merchandise/

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net