[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter - December 2008

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Tue Dec 2 22:41:16 EST 2008

TORN #371

December, 2008

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Profiles in History Auction to feature Tolkien Items
Reepicheep_Took sent us this great find: "Found a report about some
Superhero and movie-related auction items. Most notably, there are first
edition, Tolkien autographed copies of all LOTR books, and a signed map of
middle-Earth drawn by Tolkien."
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/11/27/30676-profiles-in-history-auction
-to-feature-tolkien-items/

GDT Chat Transcript
A transcript of the live chat with Guillermo del Toro even that occurred
this weekend is now online at universalhidef.com. Unfortunately you need to
register and login to view it, however it is free to register. Enjoy!
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/11/24/30663-gdt-chat-transcript/

LOTRO: Mines of Moria Launches! Trailer, Press Release, New Pics and More!
Today Turbine, Inc. announced the launch of The Lord of the Rings Online:
Mines of Moria, the first expansion for the award-winning massively
multiplayer online game. Mines of Moria expands the online world of
Middle-earth to let players adventure into one of the largest and most
dangerous online underground environments ever created while adding two new
classes, ten additional levels, and hundreds of new quests.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/11/18/30603-lotro-mines-of-moria-launch
es-trailer-press-release-new-pics-and-more/

Andy Serkis eager for Gollum return
The Lord Of The Rings star is to revive his role as the fantasy creature in
prequel The Hobbit and despite the hard work involved in playing the
part-computer generated character, he is looking forward to it. Andy said:
"In 2010, if all goes according to plan, I think they're gonna start
thinking about The Hobbit. "It will be nice to drag Gollum kicking and
screaming back out again. It will be great." The 44-year-old British actor
was speaking at the royal premiere of A Bunch Of Amateurs where he had been
invited to give the Loyal Address to The Queen. Andy said: "I got asked
because my wife Lorraine Ashbourne is in the film so I have to welcome the
Royal family and introduce the film."
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/11/18/30601-andy-serkis-eager-for-gollu
m-return/

Elijah - Hobbit appearance 'conceivably possible'
Message board member Elven found this interesting tidbit in a piece by the
BBC's "Newsbeat". Seems Elijah Wood attended the Black Ball in New York, a
charity event to raise money for children affected by HIV/Aids in Africa,
and was asked about the possibility of an appearance in The Hobbit.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/11/16/30565-elijah-hobbit-appearance-co
ncievably-possible/

Alan Lee Chat Log Transcript
Today's nearly 3 hour long chat with Alan Lee was filled with questions
about Alan's involvement with the Lord of the Rings movies, his future
endeavors, and his art in general. We had an open, unmoderated chat, so I've
edited the log for continuity and reading ease. Questions for Alan have been
italicized and his answers are in bold type. We'd like to sincerely thank
Alan and Houghton Mifflin for giving us this opportunity to bring another
live guest chat to you, the fans of JRR Tolkien. Enjoy!
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/11/15/30559-alan-lee-chat-log-transcrip
t/

Guillermo del Toro Gives Hobbit Update
ComingSoon.net talked to director Guillermo del Toro about The Hobbit and
its sequel last night at an event for the new Hellboy II: The Golden Army
DVD. He says they won't start the casting process until they've finished
writing: "Literally, like every week, what you discover writing the two
movies, writing the two stories, it changes. So, every week there's a
discovery, and anything we say this week would be contradicted next week.
Certainly that would be true in casting. Why create hopes or why create
expectations if down the line you're going to go, 'You know what? That was
not a good idea.'"
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/11/12/30544-guillermo-del-toro-gives-ho
bbit-update/

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

TORn braves airwaves with bi-weekly segment on 'Fictional Frontiers'

TheOneRing.net will be providing a segment on this Sunday's broadcast of
'Fictional Frontiers with Sohaib,' on WNJC 1360 AM, Philadelphia at 11AM ET.
http://www.wnjc1360.com/Shows/Fictional_Frontiers/fictional_frontiers.html

TORN Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of TheOneRing.net
-- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his lore, the New
Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on Middle-earth.
TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of the original
articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages. This book
adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as well as
offering readers completely new articles that are not available online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a feature-length documentary that reveals the
ongoing cultural phenomenon created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and
often moving, Ringers shows the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and
how after 50 years a single literary work continues to spark the minds and
hearts of millions.
http://www.ringersstore.com

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/category/merchandise/

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net