[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter - September 2007

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Mon Oct 1 23:03:58 EDT 2007

TORN #357

October, 2007

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

'Show us Your Hobbit Pride' Giveaway!
TheOneRing.net is celebrating! Click on the logo above to participate in our
'Hobbit' 70th Anniversary celebration!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1190472134

SHOP: The Balrog Legendary Scale Bust from Sideshow Collectibles
The Balrog Legendary Scale Bust is now available over at
SideshowCollectibles.com: "Sideshow Collectibles proudly presents this
fantastic new addition to The Lord of the Rings Legendary Scale Bust series.
The Balrog has been expertly sculpted to capture every detail of the
creature's menacing visage and flaming hide. Hand-cast of the highest
quality polystone, each bust is hand-painted and individually numbered. The
Balrog Legendary Scale bust is the perfect addition to your The Lord of the
Rings collection."
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1191014947

Mountain featured in ‘Lord of the Rings’ erupts
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - New Zealand’s Mount Ruapehu erupted, spewing out
ash and rock that injured one climber and forced around 50 people to be
evacuated off the mountain, local media reported on Wednesday. The 10-minute
eruption started at about 8.20 p.m. on Tuesday and sent a cloud of ash and
dust to a height of 15,000 feet, Geological and Nuclear Sciences said.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1190820149

Round one to Jackson in LOTR profits fight
Jackson in LOTR profits fight Kiwi director Peter Jackson has won the first
round in his fight with Hollywood studio New Line Cinema over profits from
The Lord of the Rings. A judge has fined New Line, the film trilogy's
financial backer, $US125,000 ($NZ169,000) for failing to turn over
court-ordered documents in the case. The Hollywood Reporter said Jackson's
lawyers might also be allowed to inspect New Line's files if the studio did
not produce several audits within 21 days. New Line must also hire an
outsider to collect electronic documents, including e-mails, it said.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1190337016

Blanchett Game For ‘Hobbit,’ But Only With Jackson
MTV Movie Blog continues to snag some great 'Hobbit' film tidbits! This time
around, they've caught up with Cate Blanchett and asked her if she'd be up
for an appearance in a film version of 'The Hobbit': "I haven't heard a
thing [about a potential 'Hobbit' film]," she declared. "But, oh God, I
would love to work with Hugo [Weaving] and Peter [Jackson] again."
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1190241715

Robert Jordan 1948 - 2007
Ford of Rivendell writes: I heard that Robert Jordan; author, veteran,
historian, and family man, passed away on Sunday, and wanted to let you
folks know, as TORn has reported news about him and his stories as many
Tolkien readers travel to Jordan's books and worlds as well. Here are a
couple links to AP articles where I first found it.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1190163331

Celebriel’s Dragon*Con Report: Making “The Hobbit” Happen
Celebriel writes: TORn’s panel, “Making The Hobbit Happen,” presented by
staffer Larry Curtis and co-founders Chris Pirotta (Calisuri) and Bill
Thomas (Corvar) was a centerpiece of Tolkien Track programming, given on
Saturday and again on Monday in the Hilton’s International Ballroom. They
took us through the Power Point presentation now posted here, which reviews
the complicated publication and film rights history of Tolkien’s works,
especially as they relate to “The Hobbit.”
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189963842

Chocolate Fish Cafe to Close?
Terumi Isogai writes: I am a fan of LOTR who is living in Wellington, New
Zealand. The big news in town is that the famous Chocolate fish cafe is in
danger of closing by the end of this year, due to rising cost. You might
know this already but I thought we as fans could start some sort of petition
trying to stop this from happening.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189803673

Viggo Mortensen open to involvement in 'The Hobbit'
Celebriel reports, According to an article on the MTV Movie Blog, Viggo
Mortensen is open reprising his role as Aragorn in "The Hobbit." And
according to Viggo, one thing’s for certain: Whether he’s in it or not, he
thinks there’s only one man that could possibly bring the story to the big
screen. “It seems pretty obvious that Peter Jackson would be the person to
direct it,” he said. Read the full report from MTV.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189703306

ROTK Complete Recordings Coming November 6th!
BURBANK, CA--(Marketwire - September 12, 2007) - Howard Shore's complete
Oscar®-winning score for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King,"
from the epic film trilogy "The Lord of the Rings," will be available for
the first time in a deluxe five-disc edition from Reprise/WMG Soundtracks on
November 6, 2007.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189616199

Dragon*Con 2007: Tolkien Track Highlights
Celebriel reports, Well another Dragon*Con has ended, and Tolkien Track
attendees are still busy this week editing photos, uploading videos,
emailing new and old friends, and getting costumes and props cleaned and
safely put away. Here are just some of the track highlights this year (not
including Anne Petty’s Dragon Smackdown and TORn's 'The Hobbit' DragonCon
Presentation, which are covered separately).
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189559703

Dragon*Con Tolkien Track Report: Anne Petty's Dragon Smackdown!
Celebriel writes, Who better to talk about dragons at Dragon*Con than
Tolkien scholar and author Anne Petty? Anne’s talk, “Glaurung vs Smaug:
Dragon Smackdown,” helped kick off the Tolkien Track on Friday and was
repeated on Sunday.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189473490

TORn's 'The Hobbit' DragonCon Presentation
If you missed attending DragonCon, then you missed TheOneRing.net's wrap-up
of what is happening with the live-action film version of 'The Hobbit.'
We've gone ahead and exported our presentation into a web format so you can
take a look at what we showed the audience in Atlanta, GA last weekend.
Please note, there is no commentary accompanying this presentation (which is
semi-critical at times) and there are definitely some hiccups with how the
presentation exported - but you'll get the hang of it! If you would like to
discuss the presentation with fellow Tolkien fans, jump on over to our brand
new forums or online chat!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189257888

Middle-earth Cruise Update
TheOneRing.net's very own Garfeimao has some intriguing updates for all
those interested in going on the Middle-earth Cruise! She just found out
that the cabin prices for all other passengers have skyrocketed, but not the
ones set aside for us Ringers. Read the full details through the following
link and check out the complete details of TheOneRing.net's and Red Carpet
Tours Cruise of Middle-earth!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189189711

A Visit With Peter Jackson
JOE MORGENSTERN writes: This fall Peter Jackson will be in Pennsylvania
directing "The Lovely Bones," his screen version of the haunting Alice
Sebold novel that inhabits both heaven and earth. For now, though, he's
still working on preparations for the film at Weta, his production facility
in the modest Wellington suburb of Miramar. On a New Zealand winter's day of
brisk breezes and heavenly sunshine I visited him at Weta, which was named
after a giant insect endemic to this country and has been fed by giant
revenues from "The Lord of the Rings."
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189126257

Raimi Definitely Off of 'The Hobbit'? - UPDATE
WizardUniverse.com is reporting that Sam Raimi is definitely NOT involved
with the film version of 'The Hobbit.' In a late report from Comic-Con about
the '30 Days of Night' film, Sam Raimi answers the question about his
involvement with Hobbit: "I am not involved. I respect the director [Peter
Jackson] a great deal and he may do it some day, so no." Why this specific
information has not been reported from a well attended panel discussion at
Comic-Con, we don't know. We will try to confirm this information and report
our findings ASAP!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1189091820

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon:

October 5th: Cate Blanchett on 'Jay Leno'
October 8th: Cate Blanchett on 'Regis'
October 18th: Howard Shore's Birthday
October 20th: Viggo Mortensen's Birthday
October 31st: Peter Jackson's Birthday

Join us at the 'Hall of Fire'

Times:
Saturday Chat:
5:30pm ET (17:30)
[also 11:30pm (23:30) CET and 9:30am Sunday (09:30) AET]

Sunday Chat:
7:00 pm (19:00) CET
[also 2:00pm (14:00) ET and 5:00am (05:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
CET = Central European Time, Central Europe
AET = Australian East Coast

Do you have a possible topic for Hall of Fire? Drop us a line at halloffire
at theonering.net

TORN's Own Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Get breaking news on TORn! As the "Ringers" team completes work on this
exciting project, you can follow post-production and get EXCLUSIVE
announcements of who is starring in the film! Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a
feature-length documentary that reveals the ongoing cultural phenomenon
created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and often moving, Ringers shows
the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and how after 50 years a single
literary work continues to spark the minds and hearts of millions.
http://www.lordofthefans.net

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net