[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter - November 2007

Michael Regina xoanon at theonering.net
Fri Nov 9 22:29:01 EST 2007

TORN #358

November, 2007

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Happy Birthday Peter Jackson!
For regular folks, Halloween is just another holiday to dress up and collect
candy. For Oscar-winning Director Peter Jackson, this holiday has and extra
special meaning - it is also his Birthday! Midway through his forties, Peter
has accomplished more than most do in a lifetime. May the next year bring
renewed success and energy to our favorite director! (Oh, and it would be
great if he could be involved with ‘The Hobbit’ too!) Without further delay,
TheOneRing.net and the entirety of the Tolkien community would like to wish
Peter Jackson a very Happy Birthday!
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/31/27982-happy-birthday-peter-jackso
n-4/

Just In: A Journey through New Zealand Film
Ian Brodie’s latest book ‘A Journey through New Zealand Film’ landed on my
doorstep earlier this week, thanks to author Kristen Thompson. The book is
filled with stunning images from all over New Zealand, and gives the reader
an insider look into some of the films shot there. From harpercollins.co.nz:
‘For a long time, New Zealand film was off the beaten track — unfamiliar,
charting new territory and out there. Now our rich and varied landscape, and
the skill of our filmmakers, is celebrated worldwide, in The Piano, The Lord
of the Rings Trilogy, King Kong, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Whale
Rider, The Last Samurai, River Queen and The World’s Fastest Indian.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/28/27970-just-in-a-journey-through-n
ew-zealand-film/

‘Show us Your Hobbit Pride’ Giveaway - Winners Coming Soon!
We were hoping to be able to announce the winners of our ‘Show us Your
Hobbit Pride’ Giveaway today, but alas, with the server mishaps of last
week, we have not had a chance to review the entries. Instead of rushing the
decision, we are going to delay the announcement of the winners until Nov
2nd. We apologize for the delay! If you didn’t enter, but would like to
review the entries, jump on over to our Message Boards to see all the
wonderful Hobbity goodness!
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/26/27947-show-us-your-hobbit-pride-g
iveaway-winners-coming-soon/

Gosling Leaves, Wahlberg Joins ‘Lovely Bones’
Variety is reporting that Ryan Gosling has been replaced by Mark Wahlberg as
one of the leads for Peter Jackson’s ‘The Lovely Bones’. The last minute
swap culminated in a week long delay in principle photography (and may very
well explain it). Gosling and Jackson reportedly parted ways due to
‘creative differences’. Filming commences today in Philadelphia, PA. From
Variety: One day before shooting began, Mark Wahlberg stepped in to replace
Ryan Gosling in “The Lovely Bones,” the Peter Jackson-directed adaptation of
the Alice Sebold novel for DreamWorks.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/22/27936-gosling-leaves-wahlberg-joi
ns-lovely-bones/

Welcome to the New TORn
TheOneRing.net would like to welcome you to the brand new website! Before we
review some of the new highlights, we owe you an explanation of just what
happened and why we’ve been offline for the last few days. While we wish we
could say we had some exciting Hobbit Movie announcement as the reason we
were offline, the real reason was nothing so glamorous.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/19/23-welcome-to-the-new-torn/

PRESS RELEASE: Codemasters Online and Turbine to unveil Book 11: Defenders
of Eriador for The Lord of the Rings Online™
Thursday, 18th October (2pm GMT) - Codemasters Online and Turbine, Inc.
announced the details of the third free content update for subscribers to
The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™. Book 11: Defenders of
Eriador continues the epic story of The Lord of the Rings Online adding over
100 new quests, a new 12-player raid, two new areas in Middle-earth and
introduces the player housing system. Book 11: Defenders of Eriador will be
available to European subscribers of The Lord of the Rings Online on October
25, 2007.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/18/21-press-release-codemasters-onli
ne-and-turbine-to-unveil-book-11-defenders-of-eriador-for-the-lord-of-the-ri
ngs-online%e2%84%a2/

Sam Raimi Talks The Hobbit
>From www.iesb.net: Today in Los Angeles, Sam Raimi held a press conference
to talk about his latest producing project 30 Days of Night out from
Columbia Pictures on October 19th! The IESB, along with some of the other
online journalists, couldn’t help but hit him up with a few questions
regarding some other hot properties he may or may not be working on right
now including Spider-Man 4, Grudge 3 and The Hobbit.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/18/19-sam-raimi-dishes-talks-the-hob
bit/

LOTR Toys of the Decade
stormcrow20 writes: I thought you guys might be interested in this cool
tidbit. “Rings” figures make Toyfare magazine’s list of 100 best toys of the
decade. Four LotR toys made the list:94. Minimates Gandalf the White47. Toy
Biz Helm’s Deep Legolas14. NECA Epic Scale Balrog3. Toy Biz SauronLOTR Toys
of the Decade
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/16/8-lotr-toys-of-the-decade/

McKellen keen to be Gandalf in ‘Hobbit’
Sir Ian McKellen has said that he would like to reprise the role of Gandalf
if there is a movie adaptation of The Hobbit. The film of the J.R.R. Tolkien
novel has been delayed due to disputes between Lord of the Rings director
Peter Jackson and the production studios. However, McKellen has claimed that
he would enjoy playing the wizard again, even if Jackson isn’t at the helm.
He told Reuters: “When Peter announced he had withdrawn from The Hobbit, he
sent me an e-mail saying, ‘Because I am not going to do it, it doesn’t mean
you have to do the same. Of course, you must play Gandalf whether I direct
or not.’”McKellen keen to be Gandalf in Hobbit
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/16/5-mckellen-keen-to-be-gandalf-in-
hobbit/

Lynne on The Hobbit - ‘There’s more than hope’
Huge news from MTV today folks concerning the future of ‘The Hobbit.’ We don
’t want to steal their thunder, so check out the video and jump on over to
the MTV movie blog for the encouraging details!
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/10/39-lynne-on-the-hobbit-theres-mor
e-than-hope/

ROTK: Complete Recordings Available for Pre-Order NOW!
Chocolate Fish Cafe to Close? David writes: Didn’t see it posted on the site
yet, but I noticed that amazon.com has the Return of the King: Complete
recordings now available for pre-order. The CD comes out November 6th and is
listed on Amazon.com for $59.99.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/08/47-rotk-complete-recordings-avail
able-for-pre-order-now/

Sean Astin Willing, But Not Hopeful For ‘Hobbit’ Role
‘The Hobbit’ discussion continues as The MTV Movie Blog has caught up with
LOTR cast member Sean Astin (Samwise Gamgee). Check out what everyone’s
favorite savior or Middle-earth has to say: Cate Blanchett talk Hobbit“I’ve
said since before we started making the movies and have never wavered for a
second that ‘The Hobbit’ would get made,” Sean Astin — who portrayed Samwise
Gamgee — insisted, while out promoting his new film, “The Final Season.”
“The fanbase wants it. There’s too much money to be made doing it. It seems
like maybe the time is now.”
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/05/51-sean-astin-willing-but-not-hop
eful-for-hobbit-role/

Entertainment Weekly Talks ‘Hobbit’ - BIGTIME!
Ringer Steele alerts us to a downright HUGE article in this week’s
Entertainment Weekly. You won’t want to miss it: “Just a heads up, if case
you didn’t know, that there is a huge 7(!) page cover story on the current
status of The Hobbit in the Entertainment Weekly which hits newsstands
tomorrow (10/05). I would call it cautiously optimistic - confirmation that
New Line and PJ apparently are now talking - and a good overall summation of
the PJ/New Line/Hobbit situation to date.”
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/04/53-entertainment-weekly-talks-hob
bit-bigtime/

New Line Agree to Pay ‘RINGS’ Fine
>From The Hollywood Reporter (via Mania.com) Just two months ago, the media
received word that New Line was softening its position against Peter Jackson
in hopes of a possible HOBBIT movie somewhere in the near future. The
hostility went from the studio head Robert Shaye saying “So the answer is he
will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I’m still working
for the company.” (via SciFi.com) to “Notwithstanding our personal quarrels,
I really respect and admire Peter and would love for him to be creatively
involved in some way in The Hobbit.”
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/10/04/54-new-line-agree-to-pay-rings-fi
ne/

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon:

November 12th: Craig Parker's Birthday

Join us at the 'Hall of Fire'

Times:
Saturday Chat:
5:30pm ET (17:30)
[also 11:30pm (23:30) CET and 9:30am Sunday (09:30) AET]

Sunday Chat:
7:00 pm (19:00) CET
[also 2:00pm (14:00) ET and 5:00am (05:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
CET = Central European Time, Central Europe
AET = Australian East Coast

Do you have a possible topic for Hall of Fire? Drop us a line at halloffire
at theonering.net

TORN's Own Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"

Get breaking news on TORn! As the "Ringers" team completes work on this
exciting project, you can follow post-production and get EXCLUSIVE
announcements of who is starring in the film! Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a
feature-length documentary that reveals the ongoing cultural phenomenon
created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and often moving, Ringers shows
the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and how after 50 years a single
literary work continues to spark the minds and hearts of millions.
http://www.lordofthefans.net

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net