[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (11/19/2006)

Michael Regina xoanon78 at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 19 16:18:20 EST 2006

TORN #328
November 19th, 2006
Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!
Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

LOTR Exhibit Moves to Germany
Cirdan writes: Finally German LOTR-Fans will get a close look at stunningly
detailed props, costumes, and creatures of the LOTR-trilogy! After its
record-breaking season at Te Papa in 2002/03, and the blockbuster
international tour that followed, the LOTR Exhibition has been seen by over
one million people around the world. And now it comes to the Filmpark
Babelsberg (http://www.filmpark.de) in Germany! Date: February, 1st - April,
29th 2007. The complete news (in German).
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1163964898

TORn Travels to LA for Tease of 'The Rise of the Witch-king'
LOS ANGELES - Lord of the Rings fans can anticipate a tease of EA Game's
newest expansion "The Rise of the Witch-king" as part of its "Battle For
Middle-earth" game. EA is holding a gaming and LOTR summit this week to put
the expansion in the hands of websites and magazines including
TheOneRing.net. We will update the website with info and opinions as the
schedule allows and before the game's release we will roll out a full
preview suitable for those who haven't delved into EA's computer real-time
strategy game. Stay tuned for updates.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1163777555

Major Hobbit Wonders from Variety Interview
Ringer Mark sends a long this great tidbit from Variety: As for "The
Hobbit," Sloan confirmed that MGM was in advanced talks with Peter Jackson
to make two movies based on JRR Tolkein's "prequel" to "The Lord of the
Rings." The first would be a direct adaptation of "The Hobbit," and the
second would be drawn from "footnotes and source material connecting 'The
Hobbit' with 'Lord of the Rings,' " he explained. Sloan did not reveal when
these projects might be ready to start shoot-ing. An MGM spokesman
emphasized that negotiations with Jackson are still in progress, and that
production isn't likely until 2008 or even 2009.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1163540807

Weta evolves into global giant
Evolution takes strange turns on islands. Sheltered from competition from
established mainland creatures, species can grow freakishly large. New
Zealand, for example, evolved the giant flightless moa and the world's
largest eagle. Perhaps the same process accounts for the growth of New
Zealand's vfx giant, Weta Digital. Less than a decade ago, Weta was a
midsize vfx operation of some 120 people, mostly working for a local
filmmaker. But that filmmaker was Peter Jackson, and when he went on to
become the creative force behind four huge visual effects blockbusters, the
"Lord of the Rings" trilogy and "King Kong," Weta grew into one of the
world's most successful visual effects shops, with more than 400 staffers.
One hint of Weta's stature is the launch of the AnimfxNZ symposium. It's the
only such event in the Asia-Pacific area with a partnership from the Visual
Effects Society. Now that Jackson seems to be taking a pause from tentpoles,
can Weta survive competition with the rest of the world?
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1163450604

'Peter Jackson: A Film-maker’s Journey' Review!
Tehanu writes: Most Peter Jackson fans will never get the chance to have
dinner the man. This book might be the next best thing, because it is
stuffed full of anecdotes about the very things a fan would probably want to
ask him if they had the opportunity. PJ is as we all know a great
storyteller, and this book gives him a chance to tell the story of how he
came to be a great film-maker. Author Brian Sibley has also collected
stories from people who have known or worked with PJ since he was a child,
and woven them together into an exhaustively well-researched account of PJ’s
life to date. The book charts his progress from an “enchanted” childhood of
remarkable freedom, to the David and Goliath battles he faced when he
started work on the Rings.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1163365786

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Join us at the 'Hall of Fire'

Times:
Saturday Chat:
5:30pm ET (17:30)
[also 11:30pm (23:30) CET and 9:30am Sunday (09:30) AET]
Sunday Chat:
7:00 pm (19:00) CET
[also 2:00pm (14:00) ET and 5:00am (05:00) Monday morning AET]
ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
CET = Central European Time, Central Europe
AET = Australian East Coast

Do you have a possible topic for Hall of Fire? Drop us a line at halloffire
at theonering.net
TORN's Own Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien
The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of TheOneRing.net
-- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his lore, the New
Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on Middle-earth.
TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of the original
articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages. This book
adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as well as
offering readers completely new articles that are not available online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien
Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon
Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"
Get breaking news on TORn! As the "Ringers" team completes work on this
exciting project, you can follow post-production and get EXCLUSIVE
announcements of who is starring in the film! Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a
feature-length documentary that reveals the ongoing cultural phenomenon
created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and often moving, Ringers shows
the hidden power behind Tolkien's books -- and how after 50 years a single
literary work continues to spark the minds and hearts of millions.
http://www.lordofthefans.net

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET
TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee at theonering.net and who knows!
You may just win a prize from a contest you invented!
Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at theonering
at theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just type in
their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey at theonering.net).

Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221
http://www.TheOneRing.net