[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (26/02/2005)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:50:11 -0500

Get your 'TORN' shirts right here!
http://shop.theonering.net/shirts/index.html

RINGERS: LORD OF THE FANS FEATURE DOCUMENTARY: http://www.lordofthefans.net

TORN #258

February 26th, 2005

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Autographed WETA Collectable for Charity Auction
Paul writes: I thought you may be interested in featuring this ad: It is for
a charity auction, the item being a autographed Gandalf the grey statue. All
funds from the sale of this item will go to KidsReach, a Christian
organization, who will use all the money given to offer grief and trauma
counseling to child survivors of the Tsunami and train locals to continue
counseling over an extended period. The statue is signed by: Peter Jackson,
Richard Taylor and Jamie Beswarick!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1109268927

An Evening with Peter Jackson
Powerhouse Museum presents An Evening with Peter Jackson: To celebrate the
record success of The Lord of the Rings Motion Picture Trilogy – The
Exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum, Academy Award-winning director Peter
Jackson will headline a special once-only event on Saturday 12 March, 6pm –
8pm, at the State Theatre in Sydney.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1109215564

Hall Of Fire - The Times Are A-Changin'!
We've been running two Hall of Fire sessions on the TORn IRC server each
weekend for a couple of years now. It's been extremely successful and we've
had some wonderful chats, but it's time to shake things up a little. As of
this weekend, we'll be trailing one session each weekend for the next four
weeks. However, we will be spreading one topic across two weekends.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1109160254

Oscar Party Blues? Read This!
This Sunday the annual Academy Awards will be presented at the Kodak Theatre
in Hollywood, California. The past 3 years we at TheOneRing.net have hosted
lavish 'One Ring' parties in the heart of the Oscar action. Based mere
footsteps away from the Kodak, our 2 venues for the 3 parties were the talk
of the town. this year however, we are not hosting a party, we will not be
heading down to LA, to visit Tuxedo's by Mike..the Sunset Grill...the Cat
and Fiddle or other places we've swarmed, and quite frankly...it sucks.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1109105149

'Fellowship! A Musical' Extended Stay
A Proud Castmember writes: I just read the great plug for the show
"Fellowship!" A musical parody of FOTR on your web page. Please pass on the
information that the show is extended through March 19th. It was the LA
Weekly's 'Pick of the Week' and the 'Critcs choice' in Backstage West and
the LA Times. It's not to be missed by any true fan of any version of the
stories! It keeps selling out at it's new location in Hollywood at THE MET
THEATRE. Go to plays411.com for more info.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1108916418

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon:

February 28th: Mark Ferguson's Birthday
February 28th: Independent Spirit Awards Red Carpet Show featuring Elijah
Wood
March 1st: 'Orlando Bloom Has Ruined Everything : A FoxTrot Collection' book
released
March 1st: Sean Astin at Bucknell Universary

Join us at the 'Hall of Fire'

Weekly chats with LOTR fans JUST LIKE YOU! Read the schedule below for the
next chat subject and times.

upcoming topics:

Even though many of his papers and Middle-earth tales were published
posthumously, JRR Tolkien wrote prolifically throughout his life.
Nevertheless, there remain huge gaps in many of his stories. So this weekend
we're going to ask ourselves: 'If you could commission Tolkien to write more
on one thing, what would it have been and why?'

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1109244373

Times:
Saturday Chat:
5:30pm ET (17:30)
[also 11:30pm (23:30) CET and 9:30am Sunday (09:30) AET]

Sunday Chat:
7:00 pm (19:00) CET
[also 2:00pm (14:00) ET and 5:00am (05:00) Monday morning AET]

ET = Eastern Time, USA's East Coast
CET = Central European Time, Central Europe
AET = Australian East Coast

Do you have a possible topic for Hall of Fire? Drop us a line at
halloffire@theonering.net

TORN's Own Books:

The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

The People's Guide is written by five contributing writers of
TheOneRing.net -- the leading fan website devoted to Tolkien, his books, his
lore, the New Line Cinema movies, and the fan community that centers on
Middle-earth. TheOneRing.net has always been distinguished by the quality of
the original articles appearing on its Green Books and Tehanu's Notes pages.
This book adapts some of the most popular articles on the TheOneRing.net as
well as offering readers completely new articles that are not available
online.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

More People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Following last year's successful The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien, this
volume continues in the best tradition of Green Books and Tehanu's Notes to
explore the words and worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien through essays, Q&A from
readers, and interviews with special guests.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1098932815

The Tolkien Fan's Medieval Reader, edited by Turgon

Over the years Tolkien's fondness for and indebtedness to medieval
literature has often been mentioned. His special devotion to older Germanic
literature, including Beowulf and the Eddas, has long been known, for as a
professor he taught these works in addition to teaching the languages in
which they were written. This anthology has been compiled in the hope of
sharing the pleasures of these -- and other -- classics of medieval
literature that were part of Tolkien's professional life and inspirations to
him in his creative work.
http://greenbooks.theonering.net/turgon/files/032504.html

Ongoing EXCLUSIVES from “Ringers: Lord of the Fans”

Get breaking news on TORn! As the “Ringers” team completes work on this
exciting project, you can follow post-production and get EXCLUSIVE
announcements of who is starring in the film! Ringers: Lord of the Fans is a
feature-length documentary that reveals the ongoing cultural phenomenon
created by The Lord of the Rings. Very funny and often moving, Ringers shows
the hidden power behind Tolkien’s books -- and how after 50 years a single
literary work continues to spark the minds and hearts of millions.
http://www.lordofthefans.net

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
PH: 514.947.5221