[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (9/5/2004)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 9 May 2004 09:36:27 -0400

Get your 'TORN' shirts right here!
http://shop.theonering.net/shirts/index.html

TORN #220

May 9th, 2004 Happy Mother's Day!

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

The Return of the King wins 8 Saturns!
Ringer Spy Brian pointed us to the Saturn award results: "Peter Jackson's
final chapter in the THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy of films, THE RETURN OF
THE KING, took home eight Saturns in all." Plus one Saturn for The Two
Towers EE DVD, making nine total! Fans of Elijah Wood and Sean Astin will
also be happy to note the Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor award
winners...
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1083864451

May Day at Green Books!
After a small April shower during which we reshuffled our format slightly,
Green Books is back to bring you some lovely May flowers, including two
outstanding Special Guest articles: Our smart and informative "Science of
Middle-earth" series continues with a look at the question of how tall
mallorn trees can grow. A guest author takes a look at The Lord of the Rings
translated into Russian. Please check back tomorrow for more forthcoming
Green Books May updates!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1083862028

ASCAP Honor For Shore
Feanor30 writes: I work in the classical music business, and just wanted to
let you know that ASCAP (the American Society of Composers, Authors, and
Publishers) will honor Howard Shore, along with several other important
composers, with a 2004 ASCAP Concert Music Award on Thursday, May 27, 2004,
at the Walter Reade Theatre at Lincoln Center. The ceremony is BY INVITATION
ONLY and is NOT open to the general public.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1083861150

LOTR TV Series?
Take this report from SFcrowsnest.com with a 20 pound bag of salt: We've
been tipped off that the legal and ownership issues which surround the Lord
of the Rings have come under an intense round of negotiation as a
significant unnamed party - said not to be Peter Jackson in this instance -
work towards a new multi-million dollar per episode television series set in
Tolkien's Middle Earth.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1083778200

Irascian's Oscar Party Report - The Last Three Pages
Those who know Ringer Spy Irascian a little bit will know by now that he
doesn't always get his things finished in time ("It's the job that's never
started as takes longest to finish"), but that's a minor detail seeing as
how his reports and pictures always manage to capture the spirit of an event
so wonderfully. So without further ado take a look at and a read through the
last three pages of his report on our Oscar party, right here! Mind you,
this link will take you straight to page three.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1083694767

Peter Jackson's Charity Auction Donation
Deanna Dube, Assistant Development Director for The Discovery Fund For Eye
Research writes: On May 27, 2004 The Discovery Fund For Eye Research is
launching its 4th annual "Seeing the Stars," celebrity charity eyewear and
memorabilia auction on eBay. Peter Jackson has generously donated a cast
signed making of the LOTR book for auction to benefit the Discovery Fund's
medical research and patient education programs for Macular Degeneration,
Keratoconus, Diabetic Retinopathy and Ocular Herpes.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1083631517

LOTR Soundtrack Boxed Set Bliss!
Today I read some extraordinary news! On Empireonline.co.uk, Howard Shore is
interviewed, saying the following: “The plan is that we would feature all of
the music in the theatrical cuts of the films," said Shore, talking
exclusively to Empire. "Currently, two discs for [the first], three each for
[the second and third films] and a ninth disc of rarities with host of rare,
unreleased music from the films with commentary from me.” I just thought
that you and many other people would be excited to hear this news. The full
article can be read at the following link.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1083624401

The LOTR Legacy - A New Season of Fantasy
Sideshow/Weta Collectibles staff writer, Larry Curtis takes a look at where
'The Lord of the Rings' fits in the big picture of fantasy in both film and
popular culture. While looking at the fantasy legacy and stigmas that LOTR
had inherited, he thinks it is just the start of a new season of fantasy.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1083554373

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon:
May 14th: Cate Blanchett's Birthday

SHOP: TORn's Wardrobe Expansion

TheOneRing.net is pleased to announce it has two new t-shirts styles on sale
in several colors. The much requested "Don't Make Me Get My Ring" shirt is
finally on sale and due to demand, we have also made available a new
printing of "The Return of the One Party" shirts. But, that isn't all, there
are still a few more surprises.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1080056936

TORN's Own Book: The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Cold Spring Press is pleased to announce its new book "The People's Guide to
J.R.R. Tolkien." This book of essays fills the void between the release of
the second and third Lord of the Rings movies. Passionate, ardent,
well-informed, and unlike any other book on the subject, this is an
indispensable handbook for people who consider themselves experts -- or who
wish to become experts -- on the lore of Middle-earth and the man who made
the myths.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

A New Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net - 'Ringers"

TheOneRing.net, in association with Planet BB, is turning the spotlight on
the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien in a new feature-length documentary titled
"Ringers: Lord of the Fans." Yes, this is a film about YOU, the FANS!
http://www.lordofthefans.net

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718