[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (07/03/04)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 21:17:57 -0500

"RINGERS": A Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

TORN #212

March 7th, 2004

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

ROTK DVD Menu Images!
Ringer Spy oqwarrior sends along these very secret Return of the King DVD
menu images. This, along with some DVD specs, is what we will most likely
see released as the 'major announcement' on the Official Site tomorrow. Take
a look!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078676508

Introducing: The Awards Section
I've finally been able to create a fairly comprehensive list of all the
awards LOTR has won since 2001. The list is up to date including last weeks
amazing sweep of the Academy Awards, where ROTK won all 11 awards it was
nominated for. Take a look!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078601425

Rings jeweler recognized
As accolades continue to roll in for the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy,
the Nelson company which created the ring for it is receiving accolades of
its own. Jens Hansen Gold and Silversmith has just been nominated for an
Imperial Mark, an international recognition of excellence. Only a limited
number of organizations can hold the prestigious mark at any one time.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078597982

SHOP: TORn T-Shirt Update!
First, thank you to all the fans for your support and interest in our
tshirts. We never guessed how popular they would be and sold out ALL of our
on-hand stock the very first day they were available. Follow this link to
get a full update on the state of TORn shirts and our plans for the future!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078528978

Badali Oscar Pin featured in PEOPLE
For the past three years, Badali Jewelry (http://www.badalijewelry.com) has
made 'Good Luck' pins for all of the Oscar Nominees on behalf of
TheOneRing.net. In the latest edition of PEOPLE magazine, the Return of the
King pin is featured on page 120 on the lapel of Peter Jackson! Check it
out!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078514036

Oscar Wins increase ROTK Screen Count!
According to BoxOfficeMojo.com the screen count for The Lord of the Rings:
The Return of the King will increase by nearly 800 this coming weekend! So
if you haven't seen ROTK for a while, go again soon and celebrate the
historic Oscar Sweep!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078447894

SHOP: ROTK 5-foot Wide Cast Poster!
The Official New Line Shop (LOTRshop.com) has posted an amazing 5-foot wide
cast poster for pre-sale on their website. The poster features all of the
major cast members from the films. Check it out!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078430234

Zaentz Sues 'Inside LOTR' DVD Makers
The companies that own the rights to the J.R.R. Tolkien “Lord of the Rings”
books and related movies and merchandise have sued a New Jersey company for
publishing a four-volume DVD set about the books. According to the suit
filed by the Saul Zaentz Company, which has owned the trademarks and
intellectual property rights since 1976, and New Line Cinema, Kultur
International Films has infringed on the Tolkien trademarks and copyrights
by importing, making and selling the set “Inside Tolkien’s The Lord of the
Rings.”
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078424521

Dominic in ABC Pilot
Joe (and many other Ringer Spies!) writes that Dominic Monaghan is going to
be in a TV pilot for an ABC show entitled "Lost".
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078342248

Have One Party Photos?
Do you have One Party photos that you want to submit to TORn for
scrapbooking and posting? Here's what you can do...
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078333683

One Party Steals New Line Thunder?
Carissa writes: This article is in USA Today. "Despite The Lord of the
Rings: The Return of the King's 11-for-11 win, the New Line party at the
Pacific Design Center never really got going. ... Director Peter Jackson,
Elijah Wood and the rest of the cast partied at a Lord of the Rings fan club
event."
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078252464

BBC Mentions One Party
Earth2Kim writes: Was at the party Sunday night -- fantastic!! -- and have
been searching around for press mentions/video/photos from the event. I
found this page from the BBC (after remembering seeing them there last
night) that has a video about ROTK Oscar events with several mentions of the
One Party.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078249720

Hollywood Reporter Quotes Quickbeam's Toast
TORn Staffer Catherine writes: There is a one page article on page 7 of
today's Hollywood Reporter, entitled "Net catches Rings fans enthusiasm".
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078187600

CNN.com One Party Slideshow
ElanorG writes: Hey Guys, The Return of the One Party is a slide show on
CNN.com! Wish I could have been there! ... We truly wish that too. Click on
the "Rings' fans rejoice" gallery under RELATED.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078186083

ROTK Oscar Wins
Here is the complete list of Oscars awarded to ROTK.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078185599

LA Times Talks One Party
Stalwart Ringer Spy Bob Walters was the first to send in today's LA Times
article about the One Party: "Forget the Vanity Fair soiree, the hottest
bash in town last night was at the Hollywood American Legion."
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1078183945

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

COMING SOON
March 8th: New Line Cinema will be unveiling the details of the Return Of
The King DVD.
March 8th: Liv Tyler on 'Total Request Live'.
March 8th: Joseph Pearce, Professor of Literature at North Dakota State
University.
March 12th: Elijah Wood on 'Total Request Live'.
March 13th: LOTR EXHIBIT in Singapore Opens.
March 13th: Sala Baker at Westfield Shoppingtown MainPlace in UT.

TORN's Own Book: The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Cold Spring Press is pleased to announce its new book "The People's Guide to
J.R.R. Tolkien." This book of essays fills the void between the release of
the second and third Lord of the Rings movies. Passionate, ardent,
well-informed, and unlike any other book on the subject, this is an
indispensable handbook for people who consider themselves experts -- or who
wish to become experts -- on the lore of Middle-earth and the man who made
the myths.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

A New Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net - 'Ringers"

TheOneRing.net, in association with Planet BB, is turning the spotlight on
the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien in a new feature-length documentary titled
"Ringers: Lord of the Fans." Yes, this is a film about YOU, the FANS!
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien's thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718