[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (18/01/04)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:30:47 -0500

"RINGERS": A Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

TORN #207

January 18th, 2004

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Rings Big Hit At PGA Awards
The Producers Guild of America honored New Line's "The Lord of the Rings:
The Return of the King" with the Darryl Zanuck Producer of the Year Award in
theatrical motion pictures during its awards ceremony Saturday night.
Producers Barrie M. Osborne, Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh won for "King."
Read all about it via the wonders of Google news.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1074415438

SAG Picks Nominees Outside the Mainstream
LOS ANGELES - The Screen Actors Guild flashed some independence with its
annual awards nominations Thursday, citing performers from
outside-the-mainstream movies such as "The Station Agent," "Whale Rider" and
"In America." Besides best ensemble — the guild's equivalent to a best
picture category — "Mystic River" was recognized for Tim Robbins' supporting
turn as the survivor of childhood sexual abuse who finds himself the suspect
of murder and Sean Penn received a lead actor nomination for playing an
ex-con. Other ensemble contenders: "In America," "The Lord of the Rings: The
Return of the King" and "Seabiscuit."
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1074201987

TORn's MrCere Talks to Andy Serkis!
TheOneRing's MrCere interviewed Andy Serkis Monday as part of his tour
promoting his new book. Here is a transcript of the conversation that
includes a bit on the Hobbit and the Academy Awards!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1074178611

Shore Concert Dates Announced
PirateTwin writes: Howard Shore LOTR Symphony Concert dates have been posted
on howardshore.com. Montreal, Columbus, London, Atlanta, and Seattle have
been announced!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1074043909

'King' Tops 'Reloaded' Worldwide
Our good friend Brandon Gray from BoxOfficeMojo.com sends us this news
today: ROTK's hit $767.3 million worldwide this weekend, eclipsing 'The
Matrix Reloaded's $738 million to become the 14th highest grossing movie of
all time.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1074030442

Academy Announces Films in Competition for Achievement in Makeup
Beverly Hills, CA - The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today
announced the seven films being considered for Achievement in Makeup for the
76th Academy Awards(R). The films in consideration are listed below in
alphabetical order.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1074012831

Scientific and Technical Achievements Honored with Academy Awards
Beverly Hills, CA - Two Oscar(R) statuettes and a Gordon E. Sawyer Award,
also an Oscar statuette, will be among the awards to be presented for
scientific and technical achievement on February 14 by the Academy of Motion
Picture Arts and Sciences. Digidesign, a leading manufacturer of
computer-based digital audio production systems, will receive an Oscar for
the creation and development of the Pro Tools(R) digital audio workstation.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1073939637

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

COMING SOON
Jan 19th: "In Conversation with Ian McKellen" on OZ TV
Jan 19th: Sean Astin on 'The Ellen DeGeneres Show'
Jan 24th-45th: Makeup Artist Trade Show in London with Gino Acedevo and
Lawrence Makoare
http://www.stylezonetv.com/IMATS03.html

TORN's Own Book: The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Cold Spring Press is pleased to announce its new book "The People's Guide to
J.R.R. Tolkien." This book of essays fills the void between the release of
the second and third Lord of the Rings movies. Passionate, ardent,
well-informed, and unlike any other book on the subject, this is an
indispensable handbook for people who consider themselves experts -- or who
wish to become experts -- on the lore of Middle-earth and the man who made
the myths.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

A New Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net - 'Ringers"
see below

TheOneRing.net, in association with Planet BB, is turning the spotlight on
the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien in a new feature-length documentary titled
"Ringers: Lord of the Fans." Yes, this is a film about YOU, the FANS!
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien’s thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718