[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (30/11/2003)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:24:31 -0500

"RINGERS": A Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

TORN #201

Sunday November 30th, 2003

Here is the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

PLEASE NOTE: We've decided to change the date that the newsletter is
released. You will now be getting it on Saturday Night/Sunday Morning as
opposed to Sunday Night/Monday Morning. We hope that this does not
inconvenience anyone.

Live Webcams From New Zealand
Richard has setup webcams all over the Wellington Premiere site near the
embassy theatre to capture all things Rings for the ROTK Premiere set for
later today (December 1st in NZ). Follow all the links according to your
connection speed.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1070218191

Scoop.co.nz's Coverage of The Return of the Ringers Party!
Scoop was delighted to accept an invitation from TORn to the Return of The
Ringers Party in Wellington last night. The following photo essay
illustrates just a small part of what was a very very excellent party.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1070212978

Return of the Ringers Party Happenings!
Right now, in Wellington New Zealand, hundreds of The Lord of the Rings fans
are partying down at the Skyline Restaurant thanks to TheOneRing.net and Red
Carpet Tours. R2 New Zealand has been running a live webcam and we've
managed to snag a few shots! Check out Ian McKellen, Lawrence Makoare, Bruce
Hopkins, Sean Astin, Gino Acevedo and more special guests!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1070184206

Howard Shore NZ LOTR Concert Review!
Matthew writes: Over the past couple of years, I have heard about various
live concert performances of Howard Shore's music for the Lord Of The Rings
films, and I've always been jealous of those who have been to those
concerts. But I can now say that I have been to the best concert - short of
a live performance of the complete score synchronized to the movie.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1070125341

ROTK Screening Report!
URUK HI THERE writes: I live in LA and work in the movie business, so I was
able to go to the first Academy Awards screening of ROTK yesterday.
Thanksgiving day, and they still filled a big theater - I think that says
something about the enthusiasm of LOTR's many fans in the film industry!
!!!Spoilers!!!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1070080430

Jeff Giles Praises ROTK on CNBC
Shawna sends along this 5 minute clip from CNBC's 'Kudlow and Cramer' with
Newsweek editor Jeff Giles. Giles was the one who wrote the big article
talking about ROTK and its Oscar chances. The file is 6.6MB and you need
Windows Media Player to view it.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1070051082

ABC PrimeTime ROTK Special Info
In a “Primetime Thursday” exclusive, correspondent Jay Schadler goes on the
set and behind the scenes for an unprecedented look at how director Peter
Jackson has made his incredible vision a reality. Jackson and the stars of
the film discuss how the arduous process of making this big-budget movie is
the culmination of a true labor of love. “PRIMETIME THURSDAY” airs THURSDAY,
DECEMBER 4 (10:00-11:00pm ET) on the ABC Television Network.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069960519

Live in London? Check This Out!
Gillian Monahan from Tourism New Zealand writes: Tourism New Zealand, Trade
New Zealand and the New Zealand High Commission are holding a champagne
breakfast function on December 1st at The Lord of the Rings Exhibition in
the London Science Museum.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069957878

Live in LA? Wanna Be The ULTIMATE RINGER?
The folks from E! write: Open casting call for all "Lord of the Rings" fans
this Friday in LA! E! is looking for fans of "Lord of the Rings" for a new
show in development. If selected for the show, you will get an opportunity
of a lifetime! Auditions to be held this Friday from noon to 3:00PM at 5750
Wilshire Blvd. in LA. Be prepared to tell us why you are such a huge fan and
two people you would take on an international trip! Please contact Jill at
jbandemer@eentertainment.com
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069879302

TORN DIGITAL Chapter XVI: Andy Serkis
Quickbeam was lucky enough to secure an interview with Andy Serkis where he
discusses his preparation for his role as Gollum/Smeagol. He also talks
about how fame has affected him and the physicality of the role. There's
some footage of Andy's Comic Con appearance in there as well. This interview
was directed by Asfaloth, photographed by "Ringers: Lord of the Fans"
Director of Photography Josh Mandel with sound support by Mikey Murray and
edited by Galaphil and Lyra.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069796096

Media Watch: Newsweek's Excellent ROTK Feature
Newsweek has certainly gone ROTK mad, their latest issue features an
in-depth look at the whole of the ROTK trilogy. There is a great map showing
the route of the Hobbits, the Fellowship and others take. My personal
favorite section was with PJ explaining the bloopers seen in FOTR and TTT.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069781428

ROTK DVD Street Date: May 25th?
S writes: I work at a FYE and we received a movie calendar with coupons in
it that customers get for spending $50 or more on movies. Curious by nature,
I flipped through it. Not sure if there's much truth to it, because it would
be breaking the "tradition" but it says on May 25th that ROTK will be
released on DVD/VHS.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069779353

Ringers Crew: Next Stop New Zealand
The Ringers: Lord of the Fans crew is traveling to New Zealand for the world
premiere of New Line Cinema’s The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
Arriving in Wellington on November 28th, the crew will be covering the many
Lord of the Rings events and decorations hosted by the capitol city of
Wellington.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069734052

Osborne On Telecom's LoTR Help
Ringer Spy Jezabear captured and converted a LotR/TelecomNz advert that has
some small footage from ROTK with Barrie Osborne talking about the technical
help Telecom gave the production.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069714679

Feast Your Eyes on the Fell Beast
Scoop.co.nz has a gallery of great images from different angles of the Fell
Beast coiled on the Embassy theatre and at Reading Cinemas.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1069666653

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

COMING SOON
December 1st: Viggo Mortensen on Entertainment Tonight
December 2nd: Orlando Bloom's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' out on DVD
December 3rd: Elijah Wood on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
December 4th: ROTK Screening at Carleton College
http://webapps.acs.carleton.edu/events/lotr/
December 4th: Colin Duriez is giving a talk at Leicester, UK
December 4th: Tolkien talk at St. Lawrence University
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1069791924
December 4th: Spike TV Game Awards
December 4th: ROTK Screening at Crown Theaters in Minneapolis, MN
December 4th: Primetime Thursday LOTR Special
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1069960401
December 5th: Ian McKellen will be chatting on SciFi.com
December 5th: Orlando Bloom on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
December 5th: Sculptor Graeme Anthony at Harrods, UK
December 6th: Elijah Wood on Germany's "Wetten dass..."

TORN's Own Book: The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Cold Spring Press is pleased to announce its new book "The People's Guide to
J.R.R. Tolkien." This book of essays fills the void between the release of
the second and third Lord of the Rings movies. Passionate, ardent,
well-informed, and unlike any other book on the subject, this is an
indispensable handbook for people who consider themselves experts -- or who
wish to become experts -- on the lore of Middle-earth and the man who made
the myths.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

A New Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net - 'Ringers"
see below

TheOneRing.net, in association with Planet BB, is turning the spotlight on
the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien in a new feature-length documentary titled
"Ringers: Lord of the Fans." Yes, this is a film about YOU, the FANS!
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien’s thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718