[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (24/02/03)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:30:48 -0500

!!!!ONE PARTY TO RULE THEM ALL 2003!!!!!
http://www.theonering.net/oscarparty/

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET (SEE BELOW)

TORN #163

Monday February 24th, 2003

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

TTT US Boxoffice Total as of February 23rd: $328,056,000USD

Shore Wins Grammy For FOTR!
Howard Shore has won 'Score Soundtrack Album for a Motion Picture,
Television or Other Visual Media' with his work on the FOTR score! Congrats!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1046053282

BAFTA-winners Announced!
Well, apparently the folks over at the BAFTA committee can't handle stress
or excitement too much because they already announced all the winners on
their website! Why they did it is beyond me but if you want everything
spoiled right away: click here or here! Beware, it's not as much as fun as
following the latest developments on our frontpage!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1046038959

TTT wins the Art Directors Guild Award
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 23, 2003-- During Saturday
night's 7th Annual Art Directors Guild Awards, Production Designers and Art
Directors for the films "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" and "Catch
Me If You Can" won the 2002 Excellence in Production Design Awards from
1,000 members of the Art Directors Guild (ADG) during black-tie ceremonies
conducted before 700 Production Designers, Art Directors, industry
executives and media at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. "Lord of the Rings" won
for Excellence of a Period/Fantasy Feature while "Catch Me If You Can" won
for Excellence of a Contemporary Feature.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1046031144

Sean Astin At Texas A&M Report
DeeDee writes: Hi, my roommate Shannon and I attended Sean Astin's tribute
at Texas A&M, and I thought I'd submit our experience.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1046015840

There Be ENTS Here!
The lovely Ms. Marea has gone Ent crazy today with these stunning ent
pictures! All the ent 'races' are represented; Ash, Beech, Birch, Linden,
Oak, Rowan and Willow! Take a look!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1045853899

'Lord of the Rings' Tops Makeup and Hair Stylist Awards
HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) - "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" was honored
by the Hollywood Makeup Artists and Hair Stylists Guild Monday (Feb. 17)
night and received three awards for best makeup in a feature film. "Lord of
the Rings" won awards for best character makeup, best special makeup effects
and best character hairstyling, while "Chicago" was named best period makeup
and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" took home an award for best contemporary
makeup.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1045801889

Emerald Rose 'Excited' to play at TORN Party
Nice article in the Athens Sun Herald about Emeraled Rose, the band that
will play at TORN's Oscars Party, an event which seems to be attracting some
notice around the place, besides amongst ourselves, I mean.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1045776342

TORN Flashback: Tehanu Visits The Hobbiton Set!
Today we go back to the Tehanu's first visit to the LOTR set. Tehanu was
invited as the only fansite on the net to visit Peter Jackson and his crew
make magic in New Zealand back in 1999. Read about her adventure on the
Hobbiton Set.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1045690083

SHOP: Series 3 Busts From The Two Towers!
Sideshow/Weta continues its Toy Fair 2003 coverage by releasing some images
of the SERIES 3 busts from The Two Towers. While these items are not yet
available for pre-order, you can see pictures of the King Theoden, Eomer,
Witchking and Uruk-Hai Swordsman busts.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1045604019

Over TWO HUNDRED LOTR Images
A mysterious ringer spy left us these 200 images on our desk recently. After
perusing them all we've finally managed to get them into a scrapbook for you
to enjoy! Take a look at these images from cards, advertising and other
items from Europe. Plenty of new images to oogle over!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1045521108

Fight the Winter Blahs with Green Books!
Winter storms and being snowed in got you down? Brighten up with some brand
new goodies from Green Books. This week we’re featuring Turgon’s two new
terrific Bookshelf columns. Turgon takes a look at recent Tolkien titles in
new Bookshelf #1 and a guide for reading Tolkien beyond The Lord of the
Rings in new Bookshelf #2! Turgon’s insight into the book world is always
worth a read--check him out! Don’t forget to browse around the rest of Green
Books. The perennially popular Q&A has enough material to satisfy hours of
Tolkien curiosity. Whether you brave the weather to be outdoors or curl up
by the fire, we hope you enjoy the latest edition of Green Books!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1045501483

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon

- TheOneRing.net sat down with Billy Boyd while he was in the big apple, see
what the young Scotsman has to say!
- Calisuri was paid a visit by Andy Serkis recently, hear what the
Englishman has to say about TTT
- Xoanon recently chatted with Ian McKellen while on the set of 'X2', hear
what he tells us about his latest project!

Two Towers - One Party

We recently made a very special announcement exclusively at DragonCon 2002.
TheOneRing.net will once again be hosting the 'One Party to Rule Them All'
on March 23rd (Oscar Night) in Hollywood, CA. The party will prove to be two
times more fun and exciting then the last.
http://www.theonering.net/oscarparty/

Order The EXTENDED FOTR DVD TODAY!

The time has arrived! You can purchase the 208 minute version of Fellowship
of the Ring! Choose from either the standard 4 disc set, or the super cool
Collector's Edition Gift Set, which features figures from Sideshow/Weta and
an expanded National Geographic DVD.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1023420947

ps - All of these links will allow for a percentage of your purchase to be
contributed to TheOneRing.net. So thanks ahead of time!

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The Bastards Have Landed' is
the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just pilgrims on
the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of all the ages
of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie beneath the wave.
Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages, find out what new
editions of old favorites are coming to market, read in-depth commentary on
Tolkien’s thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted original works or
humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have a little
something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718