[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (25/08/03)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:38:58 -0400

A New Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net - 'Ringers"
see below

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET (SEE BELOW)

TORN #187

Monday August 25th, 2003

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

DRAGON*CON 2003 News: Read Below

The Two Towers DVD is out TOMORROW! (August 26th):
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005JKZV/qid=1061774622/theo
neringnet

7-Up Goes Geek
Ryan sends along this scan of a 7-Up can with Aragorn on the side. Seems the
Men of Middle-earth enjoy their pop but are conscience of the calories...it
is after all a 'Diet' 7-Up. Think you can do better? Send me your '7-Upped
Middle-earth' photo and I'll post it! No kidding!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1061773352

Just Re-capping From Scrapbook
With the Two Towers DVD release fast approaching [or already arrived for
lucky people in the UK, Hong Kong and Singapore] we're reposting the
selection of images we've scrapbooked across the last week. There are lots
of TTT EE and RoTK spoilers here, so you have been warned!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1061726470

VARIETY: TTT and FOTR hit theaters before ROTK!
Before any king can return, New Line Cinema will re-release of the first two
"Lord of the Rings" pics worldwide, this time with additional scenes and
footage added.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1061580818

LOTR Big Winner at 6th Annual DVD Awards
Hollywood, August 20, 2003 – New Line Home Entertainment's special edition
of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring took four of the 15 DVD Awards
handed out by host Leonard Maltin at the 6th Annual DVD Awards gala at the
Universal City Hilton.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1061483908

Dernhelm in Armor
Brandon sends along this picture of Dernhelm in full battle armor and
brandishing a sword! Take a look! !!! MAJOR SPOILERS !!!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1061482943

Return of the Contests! Caption Contest 2003
TheOneRing.net is proud to announce the 2003 Caption Contest! Thanks to
Action Figure Xpress, ShopAFX.com we have a slew of the increasingly popular
PlayAlongToys' 'Armies of Middle-earth' figures to award to our lucky
winners. The contest is simple, just make a caption for the image and send
it to us in an email. Don't delay, enter today!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1061419264

New ROTK Teaser Posters at Official Site
The official Lord of the Rings website has posted 5 new Return of the King
Teaser posters today. The posters feature Arwen, Gandalf, Gollum, Frodo and
Sam. Check them out! We'll have ordering information asap! Minor Spoilers!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1061396166

Green Books Magical 4th Anniversary!
Greetings, Quickbeam here. This is a very special time for us at GREEN
BOOKS. Four years ago we started an "online magazine" format that quickly
became the most talked about, most avidly read Tolkien study group on the
Net! The celebration continues every day this week with new features, humor,
Q&A, and more.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1061198470

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon

-Aug 25th: Screening of TTT in Future Shop stores in Canada
http://www.futureshop.ca/marketing/lordoftherings/en/screenings.asp?logon=&l
angid=EN&dept=13&WLBS=fs%2Dweb1&test%5Fcookie=1
-Aug 26th: TTT DVD Released
-Aug 28th: Billy Boyd's Birthday
-Aug 29th-Sept 1st: Dragon*Con

TheOneRing.net Is Going to DRAGON*CON 2003!

Dragon*Con's fan track JRR Tolkien's Middle-earth returns for its fourth and
most exciting year yet! After long years of waiting, fans have now been
rewarded with the first and second installments of Peter Jackson's vast
cinematic undertaking as well as a huge array of Tolkien related books,
toys, games and collectibles. We've worked to bring the best of the best to
Dragon*Con this year and hope you'll join us for our sessions and meet our
special guests. Programming schedule for the Tolkien Track at DragonCon 2003
in Atlanta GA.
http://www.theonering.net/events/dragoncon/

TORN's Own Book: The People's Guide to J.R.R. Tolkien

Cold Spring Press is pleased to announce its new book "The People's Guide to
J.R.R. Tolkien." This book of essays fills the void between the release of
the second and third Lord of the Rings movies. Passionate, ardent,
well-informed, and unlike any other book on the subject, this is an
indispensable handbook for people who consider themselves experts -- or who
wish to become experts -- on the lore of Middle-earth and the man who made
the myths.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1046309473

A New Documentary produced in association with TheOneRing.net - 'Ringers"
see below

TheOneRing.net, in association with Planet BB, is turning the spotlight on
the fans of J.R.R. Tolkien in a new feature-length documentary titled
"Ringers: Lord of the Fans." Yes, this is a film about YOU, the FANS!
http://www.theonering.net/ringers/index.html

Pre-Order TTT Extended Edition!

We all want the regular ole theatrical edition of The Two Towers. But the
prize this year is going to be The Two Towers extended edition DVD
Collector's boxed set, featuring the exclusive Gollum statue from
Sideshow/Weta Collectibles. And guess what folks!? It went on pre-sale today
at Amazon.com. I'm sure more retailers will be posting links shortly, but in
the meantime, we have posted an in-depth look at what the Extended Edition
will contain, both speculation and confirmed added scenes. Check out our
complete Extended Edition coverage!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1056124875

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
beard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'TBHL' is the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Green Books- Not to be confused with the Red Book of Westmarch, we are just
pilgrims on the Tolkien trail, exploring the history, people, and events of
all the ages of Middle-earth, the Blessed Realm, and the lands that lie
beneath the wave. Whether you need to know more about the Elvish languages,
find out what new editions of old favorites are coming to market, read
in-depth commentary on Tolkien’s thematic elements, or peruse fan-submitted
original works or humor, Ostadan, Turgon, Quickbeam, Anwyn, and Tookish have
a little something for everyone. In addition, Green Books is home to the
overwhelmingly popular Questions & Answers. If you have a Tolkien question,
conundrum, wonderment, or puzzler, the Green Books staff will rise to your
challenge.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718