[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (04/11/02)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:25:43 -0500

!!!!ONE PARTY TO RULE THEM ALL 2003!!!!!

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET (SEE BELOW)

TORN #151

Monday November 4th, 2002

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

TTT Toronto Exhibit News: See our 'TTT Exhibit' section below for complete
news listings!

DecipherCon News: See our 'DecipherCon' section below for complete news
listings!

MediaWatch: Tight Ring of Security around Two Towers Premiere
Thanks to the many Ringers who sent in this story from The Dominion Post:
Fears of a terrorist attack after the Bali bombings have forced a re-think
of the Wellington premiere of the second The Lord of the Rings movie. Plans
for a night-time street carnival after the celebrity screening of The Two
Towers have been dropped in favour of a daylight celebration on December 18.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036381682

Live In The UK? Wanna Go To The Paris Premiere?!
David writes: I'm writing from What's On TV, the UK's biggest selling TV
listings mag. In our issue on sale 12 November, we're running a competition
to win a trip to Paris to go to the European premiere of The Two Towers!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036173333

Lee Quashes Dumbledore Rumor
Stories that Christopher Lee could fill the role of Dumbledore in future
Harry Potter films have been flying about the internet faster than a flying
Fell Beast on its way to Isengard. To resolve, this Lee himself has just
issued a statement on his website saying these stories are untrue.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036092899

Emiliana Torrini To Sing For TTT?
Ratatoskur writes: I just heard that Icelandic singer Emiliana Torrini will
be performing the main song for The Two Towers (probably in the end).
Apparently the contract was signed Tuesday. This is from a reliable source.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036082714

Behold! The Final TTT Poster Has Arrived!
Check it out in all it's glory!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1035925456

Film Book Release Party! Film Book Details!
If you still haven't signed up to participate in the November 6th Film Book
Release party, don't miss out! Over 500 people are participating already and
you have a chance to win the $80 Alan Lee illustrated Lord of the Rings!
Also, check out what Clay Harper, Tolkien projects director for Houghton
Mifflin, has to say about the new books!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1035918185

More Info On McKellen At Vancouver Playhouse
Bonnie writes: I just got front row tickets to see Ian McKellen perform "A
Knight Out" at the Vancouver Playhouse (Read our article about it here). The
tickets that I got also includes a reception afterwards where I will be
getting to meet him! Tickets are not on sale at ticketmaster.ca, people who
want to attuned should call the Vancouver Playhouse at: 604-873-3311 and
book them fast. Some tickets don't include the reception afterwards, so make
sure to check.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1035908592

Win a Chance to see FOTR Extended on the BIG SCREEN!
It is not often that we have prizes this BIG...but thanks to the folks at
New Line Cinema, we are hooking you up with the ultimate prize! 150 lucky
Ringers are going to win a ticket to see the extended version of The
Fellowship of the Ring on the BIG SCREEN, in either Los Angeles or New York
City. Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime contest! Follow the link for
the rules and details!
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/contests/102502_marathon.html

Vivendi To Break Up Houghton?
Mendil writes: I heard in the news recently that Vivendi may break up
Houghton Mifflin and sell it in small pieces, if it cannot find a buyer
willing to pay as much as they'd like to get. It seems their trying to
finance another buyout. They only just recently got an offer they found
attractive, but they were about to give up.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1035830770

DecipherCon:

Day One at the Con - DecipherCon Craziness!
LOTR geeks are running amok at DecipherCon! Scores of young people are
flipping cards across hundreds of tables. From today until November 3rd,
this place is a hotbed of crazed and very happy gamers! I am one of them.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036128748

High Drama at DecipherCon! -- Day Two
Playing cards sounds like a fun, relaxing pastime. Yeah, right. When you
have this much money and such huge prizes at stake... you can bet things
will turn ugly. Today in Norfolk there were 95 finalists in the Lord of the
Rings TCG World Championship who concluded their second day of competition.
At the end, only sixteen were left. Getting that far was hell for some of
them.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036269921

The Final Champion! -- DecipherCon Day Three
Today was terrifically exciting. I was afraid there would be blood on the
streets of Norfolk before it was all over. Saturday, 2 November 2002, was
the final day of struggle in the Lord of the Rings TCG World Championship,
overseen by the DGMA (Decipher Gaming Management Authority). The youthful
crowd filling the Chesapeake Convention Center had mutated into a throng of
zealous fanatics, all rooting for their favorite player.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036347823

TTT EXHIBIT:

TORN Invades Toronto!
I had the very lucky opportunity to attend the press junket and pre-opening
tour of the Two Towers exhibit in Toronto yesterday. I also had the chance
to interview Chris and Dan Hennah, John Howe and Alan Lee and Billy Boyd and
Dominic Monaghan! Read on!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036091697

TTT Exhibit Report Part II
I held Sting yesterday, the same Sting I've seen on the big screen and DVD
countless amount of times. True it was the scale double, the one used by the
small actor in the Frodo mask and makeup. Yet it was still Sting to me, and
one of the highlights of my day.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036123637

VGM Fusion Reports From TTT Exhibit
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036130817

EXCLUSIVE: The Two Towers Costumes from Toronto!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036138324

TTT Pre-Opening Pics & Party
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036172798

Silly Billy & Dom Pics From TTT Exhibit
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036258280

See The Toronto Exhibit On CTV!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036301823

EXCLUSIVE: More Toronto Exhibit Pics!
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036346358

'Space' Talks TTT
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1036379025

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Coming Soon

- TheOneRing.net sat down with Billy Boyd while he was in the big apple, see
what the young Scotsman has to say!

!!!!One Party to Rule Them All 2003!!!!

We recently made a very special announcement exclusively at DragonCon 2002.
TheOneRing.net will once again be hosting the 'One Party to Rule Them All'
on March 23rd (Oscar Night) in Hollywood, CA. The party will prove to be two
times more fun and exciting then the last. Stay tuned for further details!

FOTR: Special Edition DVD Review!!!

Xoanon recently returned from the marathon screening of FOTR:SE at New
Line`s intimate screening room in West Hollywood, California. The screening
was attended by a few website folks and DVD aficionados. Keith Stern from
McKellen.com was in attendance as well, Gordon Paddison and Wendy Rutherford
also attended
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1034494568

Pre-Order The !EXTENDED! FOTR DVD TODAY!

The time has arrived! You can purchase the 208 minute version of Fellowship
of the Ring! Choose from either the standard 4 disc set, or the super cool
Collector's Edition Gift Set, which features figures from Sideshow/Weta and
an expanded National Geographic DVD.
http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/6/1023420947

ps - All of these links will allow for a percentage of your purchase to be
contributed to TheOneRing.net. So thanks ahead of time!

ADVERTISE ON THEONERING.NET

TheOneRing.net is happy to announce we are finally 'selling' our own ad
space on all pages of TheOneRing.net. If you are interested in reaching the
largest audience of Tolkien fans online, visit our advertising page. No
campaign is too short and no business is too small to advertise.
http://www.theonering.net/theonering/ads.html

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

-Barlimans- is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

-Gaming Havens- is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL)- The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The Bastards Have Landed' is
the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

Green Books brings you a spooky bag of treats (or tricks!) for the end of
October! Quickbeam goes Out on a Limb and practically down on his knees
begging Peter Jackson not to make him wait any longer for The Two Towers!
Anwyn’s Counterpoint reviews a new book, Tolkien’s Sanctifying Myth, and
interviews its author, Dr. Brad Birzer. Turgon shows us two new gems on his
Bookshelf, including Bilbo’s Last Song and the 2003 Ted Nasmith Tolkien
Calendar. Turgon also brings us a Special Guest item featuring a Q&A with
noted Tolkien scholar Verlyn Flieger, author of Splintered Light: Logos and
Language in Tolkien’s World.  Moon Letters offers many new and splendid
items of fan poetry and creative writing.
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

-The Tolkien community- never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of over 20 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from
Rolozo Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

-Our Tolkien Fan- section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

-Shop.theonering.net- is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Michael Regina (Xoanon)   Editor in Chief/Segment Producer
xoanon@theonering.net     http://www.TheOneRing.net
PH: 514.947.5221
ICQ: 32063161
AOL: MVCR718