[Lotr_announce] TheOneRing.net Newsletter (20/10/01)

Michael Regina (Xoanon) xoanon@theonering.net
Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:58:26 -0400

HELP THE HEROES

We're doing our part to help all the people touched by the recent terrorist
attacks. Please buy a TORN T-Shirt from our SHOP section and 15% will be
donated to the American Red Cross.
[http://shop.theonering.net/special.html]

!!!WETA/SIDESHOWTOY CONTEST BEGINS!!!! SEE BELOW
!!! HALLOWEEN CONTEST!!! WIN GOODIES!!!! SEE BELOW

TORN #101

Saturday October 20, 2001

Here it is, the weekly newsletter! Enjoy!

Rings Roundup (Top headlines of major interest)

Enya Song to Download!
The Official site has updated with an almost un-noticeable 'Soundtrack'
link. Once there you can submit your email address and click on the submit
link to get more info....that WOULD be possible if I wasn't getting 'FAILED'
messages...I'm sure someone will get through. Rumor has it that you can hear
a small sample of the Enya soundtrack. You can now download 30+ seconds of
the Enya song right here! Enjoy!!!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1003463443]

Moviephone.com Ringwraith Video!!!
Moviephone.com has a new documentaryish video on the Ringwraiths! This is
some of the footage aired at ComicCon this summer.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1003463443]

Official Fan Club Site Opens!
Check out the Official LOTR Fan Club site run by the folks at Decipher! This
site is as fresh as a newborn, so there's plenty of digging to find the
goodies. Be sure to check out the bi-monthly "inside story" fan club
magazine, or the news on the London sweepstakes; this is all very cool
indeed! More to come!
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1003326232]

Wanna See Your Name in the LOTR Credits?!
The Lord of the Rings Director Honors Fans with Their Names in Credits of
Films' DVDs. The Lord of the Rings Fan Club Launches Today.(NORFOLK, Va.
October 17, 2001) — Inspired by the one hundred million readers of The Lord
of the RingsTM, Director Peter Jackson has become the first person in
movie-making history to simultaneously write, direct and produce three films
at one time. In another pioneering and Middle-earth-shattering move
announced today, Jackson has decided to immortalize the most ardent Tolkien
fans - charter members in The Lord of the Rings Fan Club - by placing their
names in the film's credits on the DVDs.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1003325615]

FOX LOTR Special -CONFIRMED-
FOX will be airing "Quest for the Ring" on Thursday, 11/29 at 8:00pm Eastern
time in the U.S. It is a 1 hour "making of" featurette.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1003267992]

Germany's Kinowelt Lose Rights to Lord of the Rings
In a blow to ailing German distributor Kinowelt, Warner Bros. will
immediately assume distribution of New Line Cinema features in all
German-speaking territories, Eastern Europe and Russia. While the shift was
anticipated (Daily Variety, Aug. 30), Kinowelt had planned on releasing
Peter Jackson's first installment of "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, "The
Fellowship of the Ring," in December. That film will now be the first title
under the new arrangement.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1003261312]

Enya's 'May It Be' To Be Released Soon!
"May It Be" will be released as a single to U.S. radio outlets later this
month. A companion music video featuring Enya and footage from the film will
be released to video outlets.
[http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/1/1002986984]

Palantir Visions (Things seen from beyond the front page)

Live Decipher Chat!

Don't forget, Tomorrow (October 20th) at 5:00 pm EST (10:00 pm GMT), we're
having a live chat with the Developers of Decipher's Lord of the Rings
Trading Card Game. You don't want to miss it! And as always, the Gaming
Havens is your place to go for LOTR Gaming News. We'll keep you up-to-date
on all the happenings of the Tolkien Gaming Universe.
[http://haven.theonering.net/]

Hall of Fire Chats for October 20th and 21st

Standing beside the tomb of Balin in the Chamber of Records, the Fellowship
find themself in the heart of the Mines of Moria, a dread and horror in
their hearts as they read the demise of Balin's company. Suddenly, doom boom
boom goes a drum in the darkness, and the Fellowship make a hasty retreat
through the flame filled lower levels of Moria. Just as it looks like they
have escaped, suddenly a horrible spectre of fire and darkness emerges as
the source of the flames themselves, and a stand off is made between Gandalf
and the fearsome Balrog, one which neither wins. This weekend, the Hall of
Fire Chapter by Chapter discussions reach arguably the most important
chapter in the Fellowship of the Ring;

Book II Chapter V: The Bridge of Khazad-dûm
[GOTO: http://www.theonering.net/barlimans/index.html]

CONTEST!! WIN WETA/SIDESHOWTOY STATUE!

Are people always putting words in your mouth? Well, the shoe is on the
other foot today! Here is your big opportunity to take the place of Peter
Jackson, and decide exactly who says what! It's easy, Just take a look at
the image at the link below, and try to think of what they might be saying
if LotR was a Mel Brooks movie. You can't lose! Some fine prizes are at
stake! So, throw in some Jerry Lewis DVDs and get in a wacky, Middle earth
state of mind! Thanks to WETA/Sideshowtoy some of the prizes!  To obtain
information on an international distributor located closest to you please
contact Sideshow sales at sales@sideshowtoy.com
[http://www.theonering.net/theonering/contests/092701_captioncomedy.html]

ANOTHER CONTEST!!!

TheOneRing.net is proud to announce its third straight year of the Halloween
Contest Party for Tolkien fans worldwide. This year, the prizes are bigger
and better, so we expect you to have bigger and better costumes. This is
your chance to really impress the judges and win some absolutely
mind-blowing prizes from Sideshow/WETA Collectibles and Fantasy Flight
Games. Each winner will get over 100 dollars worth of prizes!
[http://www.theonering.net/theonering/contests/100101_halloween.html]

We Like To Party!!!

TORN would like to see Tolkien fans have their own 'Fellowship' bash on the
19th, right here in New Zealand. It should be a big glamour event, given
that we've got a chance to have the first public screenings in the world
(it's the dateline thing acting in our favour!) Ideas, suggestions, and
expressions of interest to tehanu@theonering.net. We need to get an idea of
numbers. Meanwhile, watch this space.

Do YOU Have Any Cool Contest Ideas?

We're always looking for interesting contests to have fun with all the LOTR
goodies we get everyday. Do you want to submit your ideas and see them come
to life?! Send along any ideas to gamgee@theonering.net and who knows! You
may just win a prize from a contest you invented!

Scouring of the Site (Breakdown of our various sections)

Barlimans is more than a place to get your mead! There is the Fun Section,
Regulars Map and Photo Gallery, and of course the gateway to our ever famous
MIRC Chatroom!
GOTO: http://theonering.net/barlimans/index.html

Gaming Havens is keeping all you gamers up to date on the latest
RPG/Fantasy/Sci-Fi games out there. Check it out daily for gaming news.
GOTO: http://haven.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Official Peter Jackson Fanclub (TBHL) The Lord of the Rings Director's
very own fanclub! Stop on by to learn more about the man, the myth, the
bastard. If you are a Peter Jackson fan, then 'The Bastards Have Landed' is
the place for you!
GOTO: http://tbhl.theonering.net/index.shtml

You know the old adage: Good Things Come to Those Who Wait. Check out the
huge August additions to Green Books: Turgon's Bookshelf has a great guide
to "Tolkien Publications Roundup-Fall 2001 and Beyond."  Anwyn's
Counterpoint blows the heralding trumpet, "Tolkien Geeks, Unite!"  Our
Special Guest takes on the ever-burning issue, "Every Time a Bell Rings a
Balrog Gets Its Wings?" I go Out on a Limb to assess the damage of the
recent "San Diego Comic-Con Wrap & Review." More Tributes from the fantastic
Terry Pratchett and Douglas A. Anderson from Meditations on Middle-earth.
Tookish's Ticklers keeps rolling with comics, jokes, and parodies. Yowza! A
rich bounty of 23 new Q&A,  Great Fan Fiction in Moon Letters Green Books
continues to be the most diverse and dynamic online Tolkien magazine on the
web. Come explore the WORDS and WORLDS of Tolkien!
GOTO: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/index.shtml

The Tolkien community never looked so good! Come and check out our listing
of 11 subsites hosted by TheOneRing.net! We've got everything from Rolozo
Tolkien, with almost EVERY Middle-earth image ever created, to our FX
section, devoted to the magic of motion picture special effects. As well as
a host of foreign language sites!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/sites/index.html

Our Tolkien Fan section is just for you! From the site design to all the
stories and text is designed by you the fans of Tolkien and TheOneRing.net!
GOTO: http://fan.theonering.net/index.shtml

Shop.theonering.net is THE place to find all your Tolkien items available
online! From Tolkien cards to weekly ebay items, you should keep clicking on
over to our shop section for all your Tolkien needs!
GOTO: http://shop.theonering.net/index.shtml

That's all for now, keep clicking, have fun and keep sending in those
letters! We love to hear from you!

See anything you want to add to the site? Have any suggestions as to chat
guests, content items, or just want to say hi? Drop us a line at
theonering@theonering.net, do you want to speak with a specific person? just
type in their handle (i.e. Jincey = jincey@theonering.net).

Buy a TORN T-Shirt & 15% goes to the RED CROSS
http://shop.theonering.net/special.html

Michael Regina
Xoanon - Editor in Chief
http://theonering.net - 514.947.5221