[Barlibash] Discount Tickets

jincey jincey@theonering.net
Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:26:52 -0400

jincey, sam, balin for MBTA passes, and comedy connection : )  let us know
how to get money to you : )

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adams, Julie" <Julie.Adams@joslin.harvard.edu>
To: <barlibash@theonering.net>
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2004 2:37 PM
Subject: [Barlibash] Discount Tickets

> Discounted tickets, from me to you:
>
> Peabody Essex Museum ($9, normally $12)
> Boston Walking Tours ($7, normally $10)
> Aquarium Tickets ($8, normally $16)
>
> Contact me before Friday at noon if you're interested in these.  They can
be used any time.

> MBTA visitor passes are $18 for three days - unlimited subway, bus, and
harbor ferry use.  You can't get them at all stations though (very
irritating to find out during a trip).  They can be purchased at South
Station, North Station, and the Airport Station, but if you need to get one
somewhere else (if you are driving in, or will not go through any of these
stations) - other sales locations are listed on the MBTA site.

> I would like to go to the Comedy Connection in Fanueil Hall on Saturday,
August 7th, at 10:30pm (after Hanna's party), and see the R-rated hypnotist.
(http://www.comedyconnectionboston.com/) Tickets are $17.  After that we can
stumble over to the Black Rose (an Irish pub) for a couple of drinks and
some live Irish music.  Anybody else interested?

> Note:  Everything past this is not really important.
>

> I thought I'd share my experiences and opinions on some of the things
people have suggested doing.

> Salem:  Several stops north on the commuter rail from north station (few
dollars each way for train tickets), it is, at max, a half-day trip.  It's a
small town, and there isn't much to do.  It is definitely more fun during
the autumn months.

> There is the witch museum, but I didn't really like it (exceptionally
cheesy, and sometimes tasteless, in my opinion).  The Peabody Essex museum
is a very nice; I enjoyed their Chinese market-home exhibit and all of the
shipping/sailing/coastal-community related exhibits.  Admission was cheap
($12, I can get you $9 tickets through work if you let me know NOW), it's
wasn't crowded, all of the audio-tours and guided tours were free, and there
were plenty of places to sit and relax.

> There is a small main street filled with touristy shops, and should you
choose to go to Salem, a graveyard that you must not miss.  It is one of the
oldest in the US.  It's downright creepy, spooky, and tons of fun to walk
through.

> The Aquarium:  Bad acoustics, packed, swarming with children.  The
exhibits are nice, it's in a convenient location, and I do encourage you to
go, but I also would like to warn that I find it a tiring trip every time I
go.  I can get discounted tickets for $8 through work (regularly $16, again,
let me know ASAP).

> Fanueil Hall and Quincy market:  It's a thing to see more than it is a
place to go. Everybody ends up there.  Crowds, open air market type
shopping, a number of street performers, and horse-drawn carriage rides
await you.  You can get off the train at Government Center and walk right
through it on your way down to the Aquarium.  I think it's worth seeing, but
not worth dedicating more than an hour or two towards visiting.  Eat at the
Black Rose, an Irish pub that frequently has live music.

> North End Dining:  Take an extra 10 minutes and walk to the North End.
None of the trolley tours go there because the streets are too narrow.  It's
beautiful, and lunch there can't be beat.

> Walking Tours:  I haven't done one of these, though I would love to. They
have tours of the North End, a portion of the Freedom Trail, Back Bay
(flat!), Beacon Hill, and a 1/3 underground tour.
> Normally $10, I can get you tickets for $7. (http://www.bostonbyfoot.com/)
>
> Museum of Fine Arts:  Beautiful, quiet, and if you are coming in Wednesday
evening, free.  You should definitely go out for an hour or two on Wednesday
if you can.  A downside is that there are no good eating places right around
it (I should know, it's very near where I work), so you'll want to head back
towards the Prudential Center and downtown to eat afterwards.

> Duck Tour:  If you can do it, DO IT!  It's funny, it's land and water, and
the guides mix up a great selection of historical and contemporary Boston
information.  You must get your tickets early to see this.  They only
pre-release 1/3 of their tickets, but those always sell out, so if you don't
buy your tickets in advance you will have to go to their stand (at the MoS,
the Prude, or Fanueil Hall) at 8am (I have seen them sell out by 10am on
weekends).

> Harbor Tours:  I took my mom on one of these, and it was really kind of
boring.  There was lots of colonial America historical info and mediocre
views (the route involves going out along the Harbor by all of the
industrial warehouses).  The best part about it was the incredible
skyline-of-Boston photo opportunity on the return trip.

> Harvard Square:  This also is a place to see more than a thing to do.  If
you like Indian food (several vegetarian option available), go to the Bombay
Club for lunch or dinner.   Check out the Garage (small mall'ish place with
several fun stores - comic book place, sci-fi/fantasy book place, anime
place, alternative clothing place, etc).  Harvard Square makes for some good
people watching on weekened evenings.

> Drinking/Eating:  If you want a recommendation for any of this while
you're here, ask.  It's likely you'll stumble upon places just as good as I
could suggest simply by wandering around.