Geeking Out on TTT and Surviving ‘Till Morning
Xoanon @ 2:38 pm EST
Xoanon here, So you’re planning to get the TTT DVD tonight at midnight? Are you prepared for the long wait? Are you ready to stay up REALLY late tonight watching the whole DVD and all the special features? If not then follow this easy-to-use guide called ‘Geeking Out on TTT and Surviving ‘Till Morning’.
Last fall I was a special invited guest to New Line Cinema’s offices to watch the Extended Edition version of ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’. The film itself was over 3 hours long we then proceeded to watch supplementary DVD’s with all the extras, another 4 or 5 hours, I was one of the few who survived. How did I do this? The boy-scout training I received as I child paid off…I was prepared.
A ton of you are planning on invading your local video stores at Midnight and picking up your own copy of TTT. Midnight can be a long wait in line, are you ready to handle it?
Here are a few essential items to bring with you:
- Water: Water (or any other non-alcoholic beverage) is essential when waiting in line. Water acts as a distraction in the long hours of the night. It can also provide as a conversation piece if you happen to see a sexy looking fan next to you. Asking ‘What are you drinking?’ can lead to a long a fruitful relationship (this may not happen to all of you).
- Snack Food: Along with something to drink, a little something to eat can help you pass the time. Also, you may be forced to stand the whole time, depending on the state of the video-store parking lot, so you need energy. You may also use food as a bribe to get yourself ahead of the line. Recommended foods: Skittles, popcorn, chocolate covered peanuts. Not recommended: Meatloaf, tacos, spaghetti, pea-soup.
- Warm Clothing: Even in the sunniest parts of Los Angeles, temperatures can dip down at night. Wear loose fitting clothes but bring something along with you to keep you warm if the temperature dips down in the night. You can also sit on it while waiting. If you have any LOTR themed clothing, bring it along with you.
- Seat-Filler: Worried that you may not be able to ‘hold it in’ the whole time? Need to step away from the line for a minor emergency? Someone stealing your car? Be prepared! Bring someone with you who can stand in for you when you need to leave. Someone you can leave on their own is a must. Do not bring your 6 month old and expect them to stay in line and get the TTT DVD for you. Kids that age usually don’t have money and may get the wrong DVD for you. Also pets such as dogs and cats tend to get distracted. Goldfish are an absolute no-no.
So, you have everything you need. The clock strikes twelve, it is officially August 26th and the doors to the video store open! You are about to get your very own copy of TTT! Are you getting a little nervous? Here are a few tips to help you out.
- Stay on target! Don’t get distracted by the pretty lights and millions of other pretty DVD’s available. Don’t stop to look at new releases, don’t look at what is on the TV, don’t look at anyone in the eyes! Head directly to the area where they are selling the DVD, grab yours and go! (please pay first)
- Widescreen VS Fullscreen? There is a raging debate as to which is better, some people are too distracted by the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen that they would prefer the full screen version. Whatever your choice heed my words, CHECK WHAT VERSION YOU HAVE IN YOUR HANDS BEFORE BUYING! Trust me, I know where of I speak. I currently own a horrible fullscreen copy of ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ and I feel the shame of it every time I watch it! It laughs at me at night…I can tell!
You’ve made your purchase…you are out the door and back home in record time.
It is now 12:15 in the morning, usually an un-godly hour because you have school and/or work the next day. But tonight you have the TTT DVD…the night is just getting STARTED!
You slip that DVD into your player and sit down to watch it in all it’s glory…but are you prepared to stay up this late? Ask yourself these questions!
- Am I ready for ‘emergency sleep’? What happens if I find myself falling asleep during the battle of Helms Deep? If I decide to stop the DVD (my god man…what a thought) and fall asleep right here on the couch, am I ready? If not then go to your room, slip into your PJ’s and slippers…bring a pillow and a blanket and get ready if and when it happens.
- What about my TV? Is it ready for the experience? Believe it or not, when I pop in a movie I am looking foreword to watching, I dust off the screen and do a sound check. At 12 in the morning you may want to be careful of the sound levels!
So…a few hours later and you’ve seen everything there is to see on the TTT DVD and then some. It is almost 5 am and you need to be up in about an hour. What do you do now? Here are some tips for a VERY hard morning.
- Coffee Coffee Coffee: Actually any form of caffeine will help you out here. My personal favorite is Red Rose tea (tea has more caffeine than coffee) add a few spoonfuls of sugar (and one directly into the mouth wouldn’t hurt). A few hours later you can try Skittles, they work wonders and are so full of sugar that you may in fact need to peel yourself off the wall.
- Old Tricks Being The Best Tricks: If you are at work or school and seem a little zoned out, try to avoid conversations with anyone. And if you are approached you can simply say that you were up all night working really hard on a new assignment. People with seasonal allergies will be lucky this time of year as they can blame the puffy eyes and droopy cheeks on allergies. Fake sneezing will confirm this.
- Get Some Sleep: Finally, when your Wednesday from Hell is complete, you can crawl home and get some much-deserved sleep. Yes you will have to SKIP watching TTT again for a second night in a row and sleep. Your body will thank you later.
I hope this guide helps you out in all your geeky quests.